Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa boogie walk-about amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by kip, Nov 20, 2003.

1. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Anybody tried one of these with DB? Please let me know what you think.

2. songdog

songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    I tried my Stienburger EUB through a 12 inch version of this amp and it was weak. I think it would be even worse through a upright. I am leaning toward the EA. I have mesa boogie d-180 with a 2 10 and 1 15 teal cab that is great rig but a pain in the butt to carry around. If you want a good rig I will sell it to finance the EA. Later Gator

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Walkabout and an iAMP 800 (and a rack rig, which actually works well for doubling). While I haven't tried the Walkbout with URB just yet, I would think that it would be okay with the right cab. Those two tubes do have an impact, though, and the sound it not what I would call uncolored. However, if your bass/pickup/cab needs a little warming up, it would be fine. I have found it to be a very loud 300w (into 4 ohm) amp. In fact, the apparent volume is better (with the same cabs) than some similar heads which are rated higher.

I can give it a try and let you know how it compares to the iAMP. What cabs are you using? I have a bit of a collection ;), so I may be able to roughly approximate your rig.

Tom.

4. songdog

songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    I hope that I understood your question. I am looking at the EA Wizzy 1-12 amp. The cab's I am using now are Mesa. One is a Teal with a 15 lansing and I have another Teal with a 12 jensen. I have the Mesa 2X10 that I usually pair with the 15 cab and run the d-180 2-4 ohm outputs to the cab,s separately(btw the speakers are 8 ohm which has puzzeled me, never the less, that is how the experts at Mesa Boogie suggested that I connect the amp to have a perfect impedance match for my rig). I see that you have one hell of a rig. I really want something that is relatively light to carry and that I can play eub, upright, and electric bass through in a medium sized room. I will probably keep the other rig for rock and roll. (I wanna rock sometimes). Later Gator

5. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    tombowles

I've got the big rig covered for my EB setup.

What I'm looking for for DB is a very portable head, ala Walter Woods (which I can't find). You may be right about the pre-amp tubes adding too much color w/ the mesa-boogie, I don't know. However, my cabinet for DB is a three-way w/ 12", horn and tweet built by Klipsch, originally intended as a club main. Sounds real good with DB though and is probably close to an EA three way.
    I know eventually I will have to try the amp at a store to know for sure, but I appreciate your comments. Kip

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You know, given that you are using a horn-equipped cab (which I find to be a bit on the bright/harsh side as far as bass cabs go), the slight mellowing of your signal that the Walkabout would impart could be a very good thing. In general, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Walkabout for upright. In fact, it sounds great on upright with my Epifani T-110UL and with the Wizzy. Personally, I don't think that it has enough juice to really get the older VL-series cabs moving, but it's not bad at all with a VL-208/VL-110 combo at lower volumes.

Later, Tom.

7. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Thanks, Tom.
    Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees. I just looked at some promo for the EA i800 amp. Is it kind of like the Walter Woods? I know there are some threads here and will check them out, but how do you rate it for DB, particularily with one or two 1/10" cabs.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The iAmp800 is a different animal from the WW. First, it's much bigger, and has a great deal more tone-shaping options in the form of a 4-band parametric EQ, which is wonderful. At first, I was a bit intimidated by the EQ and just ran the thing flat, since it sounded good anyway...but over time I discovered subtle ways in which the EQ could improve my sound - like rolling off 50hz a bit, bumping 200hz a tad, and then rolling off 1 Khz just a smidgeon. Can't do that with a WW, and yes, I have tried.

Second, the iAmp is far larger and less portable than the woods. It's a two rack space unit, although a relatively shallow one, and weighs in at about 19 lbs. It feels substantial because it IS substantial. When you look at that weight against the weight most amps would take to give that kind of clean power, it's a serious bargain.

If you want something much smaller, I'd go for the AI Clarus 2r (I think that's the name). It gives you a footprint much like that of the woods, and paired with one very efficient cabinet or two small cabinets of any type, also provides a lot of bang for the buck and the space it occupies. I have the older model Clarus, and love it to death...I just love the iamp more, so I usually take it instead - the tradeoff being and increased schlep for increased sonic control. Hope this helps.

9. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Thanks Chris.

I have an old Polytone Mini-Brute I use for practise and some duo work, but it wanks out (nasal mid range) if you push the volume at all.

I have an Ashdown 500ABM with good EQ and the ability to bypass the tube pre-amp. It's great for Fender and good for DB, but was looking to downsize somewhat. maybe the Clarus will do, but the headroom of the i800 is giving me serious GAS.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    As it should! I used mine last weekend in a loud quintet with saxman Don Braden (who can REALLY put some air through the horn). While using an EA VL208 (and a VL108 as an "intonation monitor) with the iamp800 on the gig - which included guitar, piano and a kicking drummer in a club with about 150 not-so-quiet people in it - I had the iamp master up as high as I've ever had it...it was set on 3. Out of 10.

In other words, there's some SERIOUS headroom mojo in that head. :)

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've used my Walkabout live with my Strunal upright, and I was very pleased with the sound.

Granted, my setup certainly isn't hifi by any stretch (Strunal 5/20 with K&K Bassmax-->Fishman Pro Platinum II-->Walkabout-->EA CXL110 and Aguilar GS112), but I like what the tube adds to the sound. And, if I leave the gain on about 4, it's fairly crisp and clean. I get a great sound for my blues band.

At the very least, I'd say the Walkabout certainly doesn't detract from an upright tone. It certainly works great for a gig with both electric and upright.

But, if you are looking for the sound of your bass, only louder, there are other options in the price range.

Personally, I am really GASsing for one of those Phil Jones Briefcases--I'd love to hear that with both my upright, and my 6 string ABG that I'm about to upgrade with a Golden Trinity transducer/mic setup from Bob Golihur.:D

Chris--I'm so glad the VL108 went to a good home, and is seeing gigs worthy of it's awesomefulness (I just made that up, but I think it applies to EA cabs). :bassist:

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Me too. Unless it's a casual where nothing really matters, I don't leave for the gig without it. It has improved my live intonation more than I can say. :)

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, I haven't gigged out on upright with the iAMP 800 yet, but I'd have to think that it would be outstanding for upright with one or two 1x10's. The iAMP is somewhat like the WW only to the extent that both manufacturers attempted to build an amp that is tonally transparent (for the most part), flexible and power. Now, even with similar goals, the end product often varies widely, although in this case I'd say that they are in the same ballpark (which is one reason why they are compared so often), though with significant differences. Keep in mind, I have not had an opportunity to try one of Walter's amps, though I very much would like to some day.

Tom.