Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa boogie walkabout... & marshall vba400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Jan 11, 2004.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    Hi
    does someone use a mesa walkabout head? how does it sound? is it powerful? On the site it says 300w but they didn't talk about impedance... 4 ohm??? a friend of mine suggested me to try one (and buy it) but the shop is 50 miles away from my home so if someone says it sucks I won't go and try it...

I also tried a marshall vba 400... nice sound but... will valves be a problem with volume? I mean, will it sound good if I play at lower volumes or will it suck like guitar valve amps do at low volumes?

2. the mesa produces 300 watts at 4 ohms.

the VBA400 will never give you volume problems! like any all-valve amp, it comes to life as the volume control goes up.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The walkabout is a kickass amp, but IMHO a little overpriced.

4. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    that's exactly the volume issue I was talking about... will it sound a 9 o'clock of volume?? a 400w valve amp is a...weapon! I don't know if I could raise the volume enough in a small pub to make it sound good...and during rehearsals!!! maybe I could use it outdoor... what do you think??? I need a reliable amp to use it anywhere...

5. i think u should go for the walkabout.
    i was thinking of buying the 400 but had the same thoughts and ended up with an Ampeg V4B 100W valve amp. now i can turn it up pretty much before the soundman says "its too loud".

6. Thain

Thain

Dec 27, 2003
    Finland
    Out of those two I'd pick up Mesa Walkabout. If you want an all tube amp I think Ampeg V4BH 100W would be better choice unless you play outdoors or big venues. I play at small clubs and our rehearsal room is small so my newly acquired V4BH is enough.

Mr. Voodoobass, what cabinets you're using with your V4B? How happy you are with them?

7. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    so I should go for the mesa?keeping a 400w valve amp at 9 or 10 o'clock of volume would kill its sound??? that big marshall has plenty of volume it could be useful in the future...the only problem is when I play in small clubs... will it really be a problem with a 400w valve amp?Will a 300w mosfet amp (walkabout) be enough?

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Use a smaller inefficient cab with the Marshall and the 400 watts will disappear like magic.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For its size and weight, the Walkabout is a fantastic little amp. I really like mine (though for larger gigs, I either use my rack rig or my iAMP 800). Tonally, though, I prefer the Walkabout. And for 300 rated watts (into 4 ohm loads; it is 175 watts into 8 ohm loads), it is awefully darn loud. Certainly louder than the 330 watt Eden Time Traveler that I compared it to.

Tom.

10. in reherseals i use a marshall VBC412 that sounds just the way i want. fat and with lots of punch. u cant really get that superdeep bass with it, but i dont need it anyway.
    in small clubs ive been been using eather a 2x 12 or a 1x 8 (custom built). the 2x 12 has a woody tone but lacks a little bass but the 1x 8 sounds great and it´s perfect to use as a monitor.
    i´ve tried the V4 with ampeg 1x 15 and 4x 10 but found them eather too floppy or too thin and i must say im really satisfied with my 4x 12(it´s a bit big thou)
    if i wore to change(dont think so) it would have been the SWR610(ok its not really smaler) or a pair of 4x 8 with the same speakers i have in my 1x 8

what are u using?

11. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I would have to say that comparing guitar amps and bass amps at low volume are a bit like apples and oranges. We are looking (listening) for different things.

I regularly use my Trace Elliot V6 (also 400 watts) at low volume gigs and it just sounds amazing! I turn up the master to only about half and use the volume knob for setting the final volume.

I think if you like the tube tone, you should try this Marshall. It might do just what you want it to. I'll bet it sings like a big fat canary.

12. For my own selfish reason: Does anyone know if the Mesa can drive a two ohm load?

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The manual for the Walkabout states as follows:

"Minimum load rating is 2 Ohms and while the Walkabout will handle this lower load condition - and in fact produce more than its rated power, it is not recommended. Prolonged use of a 2 Ohm load will cause the power mosfets to run hot causing the protection circuit to trigger and mute the output signal until such time as the mosfets can return to a safe operating temperature. Avoid using 2 Ohm loads whenever possible."

With that in mind, I have run my Walkabout at gigs pushing a 2.67 Ohm load (three 8 Ohm cabs), and at practice pushing a 2 Ohm load with no difficulties. In each case, I kept a close watch on the temperature of the Walkabout, and at no time did it get even remotely hot. In fact, it seemed to handle the load pretty well. Still, ideally, I try to match it up with cabs that will produce a 4 Ohm load.

Tom.

14. Thanks for the info, Tom. I've been intrigued with the Walkabout's light weight and 300 watts@ 4 ohms. (I have an old and aching back) I have two 4 ohm Nemesis 2x10s and thought this would make a kick-ass light-weight rig, but wouldn't consider it if the Mesa couldn't drive 2 ohms.

15. Thain

Thain

Dec 27, 2003
    Finland
    I bought my V4BH a month ago to upgrade from my Ampeg B2 combon. I'm looking for a good cabinet for it. I still have the combo and I'm using its 15" speaker . I'm thinking about getting a 4x10, most likely from Ampeg, EBS or Ashdown. From Ampeg I'm planning to test both SVT410HE and HLF. I'm a bit interested in to find out how 2x12 sounds with it so I'll probably test EBS and Ashdown 2x12's. Which brand of 2x12 you have? What type of music you play? Perhaps death metal, I noticed you're from Gothenburg. I play metal, heavy rock and some blues, so I need a cab that's good for all those styles. I just read a review praising new EBS NEO 110 and 112 cabs. Perhaps one of those would be good for a small club. Soundwise I like fat bass with some punch. About what you wrote about Marshall 4x12 I think I should go and check them out as well.

16. 1: celestion in custom built closed cab, thinking of finding better speakers(eminence) and porting it
    2: no, no metal we´re more into pj harvey, patti smith, shellac, stooges, joy division-rocksomething
    but i have a very mean and dirty sound that i think would to fine in a metal band(i used to play in a)
    3 : make sure its the bass412
    i can get all the sounds i want from it, from low-mid rumble to metallic high-mid mayhem. it can be a little dull sometimes(no tweeter)but the ampeg has a great trebleknob so its really not a problem.
    i use a lot of distortion in my sound, both from amp and pedals and i think it comes across better without those tweeters
    finally the EBS 212 did sound good when i tried it and would probably also suite your sound
    good luck