1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Mega-thread Part 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've never heard of Acadian Amplification. Don't see a website, except FB, Instagram. Clue me in.

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    none of this is making me want a WD-800 any less .... :laugh:

I can totally see living without the D800+ I picked up last year. Nice amp, great features, but not quite the sound in my head that the WA is.
    I also can totally see living without the Demeter VTBP-800 I grabbed 2 years ago, hoping for an 800w more WA-ish amp (its nice but its not)

I can absolutely see unloading the above 2 amps in favor of the WD-800.
    I would, of course, keep my 2nd gen WA no matter what.

Phyzzbin and two fingers like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Seeing those in concert is what made me snatch up the 15" stack I have today (that looks exactly like these). I realize I'm "not supposed to", but I have run mine at 2 ohms since I got it. With those two (4 ohms) 15" cabs it gets STUPID loud. I simply can't imagine needing more power. I have rarely been able to turn it above 2 or 3 with the gain set to just before breakup. 3 is ridiculously loud..... even outdoors.

4. TuneMan

TuneMan Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Oakland, CA
    backline tech - Mesa Boogie, Aguilar.
    This was seven years ago, it might have been a Beta unit at that time.......

5. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Don't have any sound samples of the V1 do you? I'm very interested.

6. Not on hand but I don't know if you are familiar with the sound of the Big Block 750, it sound very similar to to the overdrive section of it. Very progressive adjustment. sound similar to Tim Bogert in Cactus or Doors L.A Woman, with a Pbass. If you can grab it in the classified for not too expensive you can't loose.

Caca de Kick likes this.
  7. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am not familiar with the Big Block 750. Hmm… Runs to YouTube for samples… :headphone:
    I'll be back! :bookworm:

8. I don't know your playing style but I must say it is important to judge, personnaly I never found demo on youtube that sound good. I am old school fingerstyle, no slap no pick. This thing sound good on Pbass and musicman but less on a Jbass, very mid present. I use it to dirt a little bit the notes so the controls are roughly around noon. If you are in a heavy metal band with a hard pick playing, I don't know but maybe, this thing have a lot of throttle...

9. It is exist also the Vtwin which is more guitar oriented, more complicated, more expensive.

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    With that amount of gear and sound goal, it seemed a Mesa Titan V12 would have been perfect for you. Yeah it is 'only' 1200 watts tho.
    Did you ever try one?

Leo was right likes this.
  11. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    You've never heard of it because I've never advertised or pushed here. I parked the domain a while ago and only post on Facebook/Instagram with mostly regional interactions. I'm not trying to have a huge online presence at the moment and won't try to until I have every piece in line. I've built audio for nearly 20 years and a few years back I decided to brand it to encourage others to place orders so I had more things to build. It's just a side thing I really enjoy and I don't want to get underwater because I was overzealous. I find myself building more guitar cabs than anything; there just aren't many bass players in my area that care about equipment.

It's only 840 watts at 2 ohms and that's an awful amount of weight for not much power.

Phyzzbin likes this.
  12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I see...
    nice builds!

Doodaddy likes this.
  13. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    q
    Yeah! Seriously sexy. drool
    Can't help but wonder what they sound like. :headphone:

Doodaddy likes this.
  14. Phyzzbin

Phyzzbin

Aug 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah. Really didn't find a good demo either. I'll take your word for it. :thumbsup:
    I'm a finger-style prog guy. Gotta wait for the tax return. Fingers crossed. :cautious:
    Unless Andy's got something he'd like to share on why I should wait… :whistle:

Doodaddy likes this.
  15. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I appreciate the kind words. They're my favorite cabs after many years of being frustrated with production items and my own builds alike. If I can ever catch a few dry months in a row I'll have construction on my shop and studio completed so I can actually ramp up production.

16. It is hard to go wrong with two 12ax7 in cascade. Andy can confirm, it is supposed to be the same circuit than the overdrive section of the Big Block 750.:)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 9:24 PM
  17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The BB750 and V-Twin are quite different architecture even though they share similarities.

19. V-Twin ok, but same for Bottle Rocket? I have the big block and the Bottle Rocket and for my sound I achieve a very close sound of each others.

20. Sorry, smartphone fart!