1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa boogie walkabout scout 12 ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Mesa boogie walkabout scout 12

A local store has a used one of these for sale .

It appears to be a 12" and physically looks in excellent condition.

the head does not have the brown surrounding some of the controls and IIRC it is black background around the controls .Does this mean it is old???

What kind of maint , if any , needs to be done on this head IE tubes etc..

They are asking $800.00 , what would you expect to pay walking out the door with this amp ?

I currently have a GK 700RBII and an Ampeg BXT 210 M cab.

I like it but also like the apparent portability of the Mesa.

Any comments good or bad requested and welcome.

2. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Buy it if you like the sound, that is a nice price.

3. JeffSki

JeffSki

Apr 18, 2007
    The black lettering means it's a newer head. IIRC the older Walkabout heads had brown or purple lettering. $800 sounds descent as they go for $1200 brand new.

The only maintenance you need would be replacing the two 12ax7's. Which is an easy process.

I love my Walkabout. I have the 1x15 version. My buddy has the 1x12 and it sounds just as good.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Agree with Jeffski: Black background means it's one of the newer ones. My 12" Scout combo, which I bought new a few months ago, has the same look.

As for maintenance, really, none is required. You can change the preamp tubes if you want to (some say they've gotten more note definition after switching tubes), but I'm perfectly happy with the sound of mine. And $800 seems like a fair price on a newer used one. (You could search the Amps Classifieds, though, for perspective on that.)

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's a good price for a great amp. If it sounds good to you, jump on it. Since I got my Walkabout several months ago, I've started getting some serious G.A.S. for another Mesa head, maybe an M Pulse 600.

6. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Let me add that there are upgrades that are recommednded by Mesa to older heads. The design has been improved upon in a couple ways including the active/ passive inputs, high frequency occillator(?) and the bypass for the effects send. Regrdless of the color graphics, the easiest way to tell is by looking at the front panel. The new design has a switch for active/passive input and opposed to separate inputs.
    I had mine upgraded and Mesa was great about it. They don't want anyhing with Mesa Boogie on it out there that isn't up to standards.

7. I have had the 12"WS for several years and it is a great sounding easily portable combo. Probably the best sounding combo available at that time.
    I had the factory recommended update done, it was a breeze.
    Mesa is a really good bunch to deal with too.

I would recommend that you buy it.
    $800 is a good price.