1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout; time to buy one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bebi, Sep 15, 2017.

1. bebi

bebi Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    These highly praised combos are sadly out off production.
    I have never had the pleasure of playing through one...but now I really want one!
    I have this crazy idea that I need that warm tube punch every WA owner raves about.
    I even think I can find a new one before its to late.
    I can also find a secondhand one.

But they are pricey, new or secondhand....
    Should I ? 12" or 15"?

kpc likes this.
  2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    yes

GregC, joebar, shoot-r and 1 other person like this.
  3. Yep. A 112 if you wanna add a cab at most gigs or just for quiet stuff.
    A 115 if you wanna be able to handle most gigs as is.

bebi and lomo like this.
  4. bebi

bebi Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    Ordered a 15 from Germany. The scandinavian dealer didnt have any left. So now I' ll just sit and wait for it.

GregC likes this.
  5. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    "Warm tube punch" is not how I would describe my Walkabout Scout 12 combo, but then, mine replaced a Trace Elliot V-Type tube head and 4x12. The inclusion of a preamp tube in the Walkabout head doesn't make it a tube amp, and the Walkabout cabinet design is unusual to say the least. The Walkabout Scouts are certainly highly capable rigs. I would say if you have a 4-string bass, go for the 12, and if you play a 5 or 6, go for the 15, or better yet, two 12s.

I paid $650 USD used for mine in mint condition, with the accessory head bag, in 2009. They were going for $1700 USD at the time they were discontinued earlier this year, and current asking prices seem to be around $1350.

6. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Yes. I believe Mesa still has some available. If not, watch ebay.

7. They pop up on Guitar Center's used gear site from time to time as well. There are actually a couple Walkabout heads on there currently.

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    hmm, try running your Walkabout into a great 2x12 or 6x10 cab (or any well designed, efficient ,multi-driver cab). In my case those are a Bergantino CN212 and NV610. The Walkabout punches like crazy through those cabs. I would agree the WA/Scout 12 cab, particularly the 80hm version, is not a heavy punch machine and does not get the very best out of the WA amp - but the WA head has it all going on if you want it.

As far as the WA not being a "tube amp", of course it's a hybrid ... but, IMHO/IME it is about the tubey-est amp that I have ever played through and I have played plenty of the all tube classics (including the Trace V-type). It's certainly not one of those weak-a** starved plate, tube just for show amps at all.

OP, yes buy one! (looks like you did) .. you will not regret it.

bebi likes this.
  9. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Yeah, I've had mine for 8 years, and I love it to death. It may not have the oomph my V-Type rig had, but I can pick it up with one hand, and it is enough for any gig I am likely to play for the foreseeable future, venues that fit maybe up to 200 or so.

bebi likes this.
  10. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    Just finished rehearsal with mine and it doesn't get much better.
    Both combos are exceptional and they are expensive

bebi likes this.
  11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The combos are superbly toneful/rich, deep sounding (the passive radiator acts as a port that allows the box to be tuned lower than it's volume would otherwise permit), but the major, five-star bonus is that the head plays wonderfully with just about any cab, and with larger boxes/greater cone area it blooms.

joebar, GregC, bebi and 1 other person like this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm just gonna leave these here and say, yes. To me, there are now TWO amps every bass player should try and/or own at some point in their bass career....the SVT and the Walkabout. This is my 15" stack. If I played it to its full potential you could hear it from your house. :D

20170920_215906. 20170920_215836.

Spaceman Ian, joebar, bebi and 2 others like this.
  13. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    Do the Scout 15's have the radiator speaker as well or is that just on the 12?

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes. I'll try to take a pic later. I believe it's 10".

lomo and husky123 like this.
  15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There's 4 on eBay right now and over 10 available on reverb.com. Most are brand new.

Certainly not a shortage of these amps, no need to panic.

bebi likes this.
  16. bebi

bebi Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    Well, in Norway I need the 240 volt version. I have looked into buying a 110 volt from the USA/Canada, and I could have a new one for 40% less than the 240 version is going for here. But then I would need to drag around a converter. Or do a transformer rebuild....

17. bebi

bebi Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    Yeah; the 110 volt version....

18. Oh I gotcha.

bebi likes this.
  19. Sman

Sman

Jun 13, 2018
    Do it, good luck finding a new one, I know this is long after your post, 12" all the way, if you haven't already, at one point I was in a band where the singer worked in a huge music store in UK, and I got to take what I wanted to try at rehearsal, EBS, Ampeg, Warwick, Marshall VBA tube, I spent hours with full rigs and bought the 12 walkabout, not because of huge headroom or volume, just the sound, nothing like keep it,bbought a cheap new Peavey 4x10 for bigger gigs, and it blew away all the other set ups. Just bought what I believe is pretty much the last new one I could find, in original box in the US. They can't be beat

bebi likes this.
  20. bebi

bebi Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    I did find a new WA 15 from Germany, and then some weeks later a used 15 extension cab showed up, fair price too....so now I have a WA 15+15 rig and absolutly love it!!! I don't mind the weight/size. Love that thump in my back :)

pfschim likes this.