Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuk3m, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Id just like to know how you guys rate this amp/preamp as im contemplating buying one of these also, i dont knwo anyone whos has one for a while so i dont knwo how it goes in the long run.

If someone could please share with me this info id be greatfu.l
  2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I searched long and hard for a combo that would give me a clean, punchy bass sound and didn't weigh a ton. When I plugged into a Walkabout Scout for the first time, I knew I had to have one. Great sound, easy to carry...and with the removeable Walkabout head, you can put it on top of another cab for bigger venues. I like mine a lot and I know there are a lot of other threads out there that say the same thing.
  3. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I have one and I love it. Do a search and you will find many more threads that say the same.
  4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    To say I *want* one would be a gross understatement ;)
  5. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have the 4 ohm 12" Scout for about 1 year / probably used it on about 40 shows and many rehearsals...... its a great product - pricey but money well spent.

I have used it outdoors w/o PA support and it does not cut it for me... so I went out and purchased the Pulse 600 from Mesa for the higher volume requirements.
    I use that with either Goliath 4 x 10 - Bag End Single 15 cabs ..always with great results.
    Mesa has a serious line of bass gear on the market today...

The Scout comes in a 15" version as well..I am not sure if they are in the stores yet but you might want to check around for that. They also make an 8 ohm version of the Scout which allows you to add an extension cab.... plus the head comes out very easily and I can use it with my other cabs... I would rate it 9 out of a 10
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have one. It's pretty:

Not a bad little amp; it keeps up with my full tube stack quite nicely - which makes me wonder why I'm lugging that thing around!
  7. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    It's nice amp. I use it with my EA VL208 with 2 different
    jazz bands. It sounds good with both my upright basses
    and my 5 string Graphic Guitars hollowbody bass.( Jerry
    of G. Guitars was the co founders of Modulus and started
    his own company many years ago.)
    When I A-B the Scout with other 2 M Pulse amps with a 5
    string fretless and my upright bass: It had a slightly faster response time than M Pulse because of less controls on the amp.
    For the louder venues I use a Boogie M2000 with 2 EA VL 110
    Mesa really does back up their products too, as I can make an
    appointment with them and they' ll try to repair it while I 'm
    waiting. I live about an 1 1/2 drive from them.
  8. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    I play metal and funk so im gonna be pumping this thing for a bit, do u guy think itll hold up?

Ive done research on this amp and still dont know if i cant get the sound i want, if anyone listens to "mr bungle" "incognito" or "opeth" then u will know what set of sounds im looking for.

ty for the help so far guys
  9. 57pbass

I dont think it will do the job for the would be perfect for the funk...

You might consider the Pulse 600 head and some cabs...more volume for the metal and plenty for the funk... especially if you are up against a stack of Marshalls....
  10. The WalkAbout is an excellent little amp & preamp. It's warm, loud, versatile and lightweight. Add to that the fact that it can be driven to 2 ohms for periods of time and it proves to be quite the powerhouse too. I've not used the Scout version, but I'd have to believe it's killer. Good luck.
  11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think it would be fine for metal. It's freaking loud. Just as loud, in fact, as my 300 watt tube rig powering a 15" and an 18". Imagine that, if you will.
  12. 57pbass

I retract my last comment about the Scout... :bag:
  13. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Buy one and join us Mesa enthusiasts. Besides, all the cool kids do it. :cool:
  14. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    OK but You give me the dough to get it and then we can be both cool harr :hyper: