Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, May 29, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Im planning on getting a mesa boogie walkabout scout 15" and a Mesa boogie 15" extention cab to go along with it. Im just wondering what amount of ohms I need so I can use the cab so its at a safe level so that I dont blow out the speakers or what not.

And I was also wondering how big of a show that set up can handle.

2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I have the 12" model and I love this amp. It is by far the best combo amp I have ever owned, and the compact package is perfect for me.

In answer to your question....this has been debated on a couple of threads on this forum. The standard Walkabout Scout comes as a 4 ohm set up and the specs say you shouldn't run it at 2 ohms, which means you can't run an extension cabinet. They are available as a 8 ohm set up, which means if you get an 8 ohm extension cab, you'll push it at 4 ohms and everything should be okay. The debate is that a lot of Walkabout owners swear their amp will run at 2 ohms without a problem....I haven't heard anyone come back and say they tried to run it at 2 ohms and it fried the amp.

Personally I haven't tried mine at 2 ohms...I don't play out enough to have put it to the test, but I'd certainly be willing to try. Good luck with your decision....

3. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Massachusetts
  4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I've owned my Scout for just about 2 years ...problem free with good power and great tone for a portable combo. I have not heard the 15" version which probably sounds great.....
    I have not run it @ 2 ohms as of yet... but its been discussed here a few times

5. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Alright well im gonna play it safe and just get the amp and speaker encloser in 8 ohms, if it does break while running it at 2 ohms, Mesa wont cover it becuase they dont rate their gear at that. Someone said it was to cover themselfs, witch I can understand.

So now I just need to know how many people I can play infront of, And im hoping this will be the only amp I'll need until I play infront of 20,000 people. :rolleyes:

6. Call Mesa and pose the 2 ohm/warranty question before scrapping the idea....you may be surprised.

Mike

7. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well Im still pretty sure im gonna have 2 8ohm cabinets just to be safe, the only thing now, is the Combo and extenstion speaking is 1898.00 and I can get an ampeg 810 and SVT350 for 1700.00

I love the idea of the light weight combo amp because my house doesn't have a cargo louding dock in it, but Im playing infront of my whole school witch is like 1500 and im wondering now if the walkabout's gonna be loud enough.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Walkabout with the extension cabinet will be loud enough to get you kicked out of school.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm not sure how much volume you're really looking for, but my buddy has a Walkabout with a 1x15', and it doesn't really get very loud. Personally, I think you need to really push Walkabout (like at 2 ohms) to get decent volume out of them. Apparently they are very stable at 2 ohm as well.

10. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Not loud enough?

I have it about 1/3 - 1/2 on the master volume and it cuts just fine in the two bands I use it in. If he needs more than 300W of power, they must play extremely loud.

The standard Walkabout combo 1x15" is plenty loud.

11. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Yeah the band im in isn't that big, although we have a shot at playing warped tour this summer thats not the point, amps will be provided there, besides that show we'll playing small clubs and school festivities and things like that. So the walk about should be big enough for my needs.

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Volume is a subjective thing I guess. I like to hear and feel myself play, and I choose not to be drowned out by guitar and drums, so I always error on having too much volume and needing to turn down rather than looking to get louder later.

13. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Sorry to bring this topic back to life agian, I didn't want to make a new one becuase I know that pisses people off. Im not having second thoughts on the mesaboogie for some reason.

I've been searching the web for pics of the SVT 810 (ampeg) and found the Pro version, and it slapped me in face and made me want one, And I found a site that sells it along with this.

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-AMPSVT2.html

Everyother site I've seen, the amp looks diffrent, is that in some kind of rack or shell device? If its something else you have to buy, can someone let me know where becuase I'd like something exactly like that, not one of those metal rack enclosers, those aren't appealing to me.

I dont know if im going to be able to afford this set up, considering its 3400 dollars, but Im sure as hell going to try, if I can't afford that I'll probably end up staying the mesa.

Thanks for your patience.
    Sean