Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie Walkabout vs. Ampeg B100R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lync, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    In my never-ending quest for Thunder from a Lunchbox®
    I have been looking at the Mesa Boogie Walkabout.

I have two B100R's and like the tone-I was wondering if the Boogie had more grunt than the B100R and how it sounds compared to it.

Of course the Boogie is much more $, but you can add an extension cab to it and it has more power. Since paper specs don't always mean what they seem to be I am asking for input on this comparison.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You can't go wrong with Mesa stuff.

3. rdcalab

rdcalab

Jan 10, 2005
    San Diego
    i have never played the b100. i have a walkabout; i can tell you this much: it is sweet! you will not be dissapointed with it.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    As excllent as the B100R is, the Mesa beats it out hands down in this comparison. In the future, try to make your comparisons with equally rated rigs. This one wasn't fair for the poor Ampeg.

-Mike

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    LOL!

I know, this thread gets graded as a D-. :eyebrow:

Actually, price-wise, very true-the Mesa should crush the Ampeg. When you are working with a single speaker and 300 watts vs. 100 watts, it may not always be the case though.

Also, besides pushing more air, does the extension cab really help for the Walkabout? Any phasing issues using dual passive radiators?

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've tried the Ampeg and did like the sound but my Walkabout blows it away. I haven't used mine (Scout combo) with the Scout extension cabinet but I've tried it with various other extension cabs. It gets an even bigger sound with an extension cab. I can't see any reason why the passive radiators would be out of phase. The important thing is that the cabinets are in phase with each other, which they should be if they're both Mesa.

The head is very versatile and will play clean as well as get that overdriven tube amp sound. Just takes a bit of practice with the overdrive controls. It's the loudest 300 watts I've heard.

Before the Mesa I'd been using GK; the 400 RB and the 2000 RB and I liked both a lot. But the Mesa is a notch better. I've had it now for about a year and a half and had no problems. Never replaced a preamp tube yet either.

Yes, there is no comparison with the Ampeg and it's not fair to try. Big difference in price.

The quality of the Mesa is superb and should be for what you pay for one. This little amp sounds huge.