Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa boogie Walkabout?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pinkfloyd, Jun 21, 2001.

1. does anyone own of these? what do you think about it? and how much to the retail for, I can't seem to find them anywere.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    More...

[​IMG]

4. Just in case anyone is still paying attention to this thread (the attention span on TB can be painfully short), I had an opportunity to check one out last night.

WOW I was really impressed. It was a brief audition, but the initial impressions were enough for me to be sure that I go back to check it out again soon.

I was running it into my limping Acme Low B2 (I managed to hurt one! Stupid me! :mad: ), which at 4 ohms allowed the Mesa to give it 400 watts (I believe). I was extremely impressed with how loud, powerful, and solid the sound was. Honestly, after hearing how powerful the sound was, I've been thinking of how much I need to dump my 80 pound rack and pick up one of the Walkabouts! Despite the Mesa's ability to move some serious air, the tone was smooth, warm, and beautiful.

I believe that the retail price is in the $800-1000 range, but I'm not 100% certain on that - I will keep an eye out for the street price!

5. Blah, blah, blah. That thing is a shameless ripoff of the Eden WT-400. which goes for $550-700 on the used market.

6. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I would have to agree..."Traveler" "Walkabout". They are the same size and the control layout is very similar. One big difference...the Eden sounds way better. I think Mesa had better try a little harder...

...Still love my M-2000 though!

7. How about the "David" series vs. the Goliath series?

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    First time I saw this thread, I thought "Mesa Boogie ROUNDABOUT?!" Tehe :D

9. That's different--"David" is a gentle poke at SWR, and also a testament to the fact that Eden cabs are a whole hell of a lot more effective in most musical contexts (the ones with 10s, anyway; I don't have much experience with either company's 15-loaded cabinets). If Eden had called their cabs the "Leviathan" series, that'd be as lame as what Mesa/Boogie is doing now.

Also, take a look at the Walkabout's front panel. It looks to me like the pots aren't mounted to the faceplate, a la the SWR Mo'Bass. I'm surprised, because Mesa/Boogie's guitar amps resemble a cross between a Volvo and a Boss stompbox in terms of build quality. Another thing--how is this thing supposed to be rackmounted? It looks like there are only two screws on each side for rack ears, which doesn't seem as secure as the Eden 3-screw system.

Randall Smith should be ashamed of himself for letting this thing go into general production. This is hardly a revolutionary amp like the M-2000, or the WT-300/400 for that matter.

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Had a chance to briefly play through one Friday at GC. Sounded very nice, but I'll reserve judgement until I can A/B one with an Eden WT400 and the cab of my choice (I hate 4x10s).

And the pots are solid - you can see the mounting nuts behind the knobs if you look closely.

Definitely not trash!

11. Upon further review, you're right--I can see the mounting nuts. I should hope that a manufacturer of Boogie's caliber should pay attention to construction details like that.

12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I think Boogies have a very high-quality build. They don't seem to cut corners like a lot of manufacturers. I just think they could have been slightly more original with their "Walkabout" product. It is nice to have a very portable amp like that, but it really is a ripoff of Eden's Traveler and only makes Mesa look like a "me too" company. Their other products such as the M-2000, 400+ and Buster were great because they were their own thing. You could (but shouldn't) compare the 400+ with the SVT because they are both tubed monsters, but they don't sound the same and the Mesa definitely isn't called the MVT...

13. I suppose that the Walkabout could be construed as a "follower" product, but that isn't necessarily bad. If Mesa can borrow Eden's basic Traveler idea (small, light, powerful, hi-fi, and rackmountable) and update it with their new ideas and/or their own tonal imprint and/or make it smaller, lighter, and/or more powerful - then it's a worthwhile product in my opinion.

I think that there is a relative lack of options in this niche of bass amps. You've got the Traveller 300/400 and the Euphonic Audio iAmp 350/600. The Eden is often characterized as imposing too much of it's own sound, and the EA is often characterized as being too sterile and flat. Not that Eden's sweetness or EA's tonal impartiality are bad, but they may not be everyone's cup of tea. If Mesa can bring a solid, well-made, and thoughtfully designed amp to market that helps bridge the gap between the other makers servicing this market niche, then we're all better off.

BTW - the Walkabout seemed pretty solid in terms of build quality; better than SWR's Mo Bass, anyway.

14. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I just checked out a Mo' Bass today...thought the knobs were about to snap off!!!:eek:

15. Quick Update

Got to check the Walkabout out today with my limping Acme and my double bass, and it was very nice! I switched back and forth between the Mesa and an Eden WT400 - it was very close, and both amps are very solid. I like the Mesa's punch better, even with the DB. The Eden was very warm and creamy, but it seemed a bit too laid back.

Both sounded great with electric basses, but I like the punch of the Mesa.

Both great amps, both at about $800, both with great sounds, identical shape and weight - this is a good problem to have! I'll try to throw the Euphonic Audio into the mix tomorrow.

16. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I considered the WalkAbout, WT-400, I-amp,
    Clarus, & the mighty Walter Woods- I play a '69
    P-Bass & MM Sterling through a Hartke 2.5XL.
    The Mesa sounds phenomenal w/ my rig; I bought it. I liked the headroom, the size, & the phat tone along with the very intelligent & straightforward
    parametric EQ. Wth an active bass like the MM,
    you get an incredible range of tones.
    IMO, an outstanding rig & I respect Mesa's marketing policies.