1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jetofuj, Jul 18, 2008.

1. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Aloha!

Is there anything annoying in Walkabout head? I've heard that fan is very noisy. "Mute" switch would be useful too. But what's more? There is a great number of users of this little head and most of them are rather happy with it. I'm thinking of buying this little gear as well, so I'm rather interested what you don't like about it ;)

Cheers, Kris

2. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    I've had mine for over a year, and love it. But you want to hear what I don't like about it.
    Due to the design, the balanced line out is a pain to get to, sort of.
    It's a finicky little beast, takes some time to dial in a sound, maybe that's my fault.

That's about it, it's loud, light, well built.....I play in a classic rock band and have used it on a lot of club dates, and it's enough for anything we do.

3. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    There's a big old thread dedicated to the Walkabout - check it out.

Mesa Walkabout Thread

Sure - people can help you out on there. BTW - I love mine, very expensive here in the UK but Iworks for me very nicely :smug:

4. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    I've had mine over six years and still love it. The only problem that I had was with the input jack. They fixed it for free though.

5. I have a later model. It's a great, great, great amp.

Pros... you know all about those.

Cons... No mute switch. DI is post-output gain. No speakon connectors. Expensive.

Although the fan can be heard if you're playing it in the house, mine is inaudible in a gig environment. Even at very quiet acoustic gigs.

I have an MPulse 600 too, but I'd be happy if all I had was the Walkabout. It's a LOUD 300 watts.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I wish it had a little bit more midrange, myself. I keep my midrange knob all the way up (it's passive control, so it's actually flat at this point); I'm not really good with the semi-parametric EQ, so I have a bit of a hard time dialing in the midrange I want.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    In the combo, the fan noise is really a non-issue.
    If you plan on using just the head, it is a small issue.
    If you're gonna record with it, you'll need to account for that.
    For live use in ClubLand, you'll hear the fan on stage....between songs only.
    It ain't that bad.

It's a whompin little head/combo, and it's really versatile.The cab with the combo is deep; but a little dark despite the horn...as long as you're not a "ture modern slapper,' that's fine.
    It works well for both electric and double bass.
    It pairs great with many other cabs.
    It can go from pretty tubey to pretty clean, depending how you set up input vs master gains, and the eq is broad and powerful.

Cons?
    Not really any for me...if you're a big "change volume on the fly, on stage" kinda guy, the DI output being keyed to output volume could be irritating...but I set my volume for as loud as I need it, and get dynamic range from right hand control...

It's a reallllly big 300 watts, and the head seems to be happy at 2.67 and 2 ohms, if driving multiple cabs is important.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's what I've found helpful for that:
    Set mids and treble at about 1 o'clock.
    Then, boost 800 and 2khz with the para eq.

9. Apparently not...

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Ah... hmmm... I'll get back to you on that.

As it is, it's still not enough mids for my taste. I need just a pinch more...

11. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I second the assertion to keep the mid knob dimed - as it is passive.

Then go to work with your parametric.

I fyou want more low mids start with mixing tricks - like boosting 350-300hz for P-bass and 400hz for a jazz

if you want super punchy mids boost 800hz to 1000hz.

for more upper mids and bite - boost 2000hz to 3000hz.

Looks like you can boost all three of those areas - for a really gnarly middy tone.

and also keep the bass and treble down. you'll never have a problem with lack of mids with this head again.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I think these guys have pretty well covered the cons of this amp, there aren't many. As stated, in it's combo form, the rear panel is hard to get to. That's the ONLY con for me. The mids I get are smokin', and I use a pedalboard, so no need for a mute switch. Way more pros at any rate.

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I do keep my bass and treble down - the bass is at about 1 o'clock, and the treble is at noon. I think the trouble is that I've been using a very different amp for most of my playing career (a prototype Mesa/Boogie BassTriaxis, Strategy 500, with EV loaded Boogie cabs), and this is my first serious foray into SS amps and neo cabs. I'm so used to hearing MY sound - midrangy, grindy, and warm - so getting the Walkabout to do the same thing has been tough.

It does appear that the mid is passive - from what I've read, the Walkabout is voiced very mid heavy, with the mid control set to reduce the rampant mids. Truth be told, I haven't had the chance to really sit down with the semi-parametric EQ and fuss with it. My Walkabout and cabs arrived, I took them out of the box, and straight to a gig. I've been gigging pretty heavily with them ever since, and they've almost never been home. I've recently cancelled all of my gigs per my impending move to San Francisco, so perhaps I can get some tweaking time in before I pack it all up and go.

14. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    I owned a Eden WT400, prior to replacing with the Walkabout. To me the Eden was very scooped and lacking in midrange, especially compared to the Walkabout. I keep my passive midrange at one o'clock, and think it sounds great. Maybe it's your bass, that's lacking mids and not the amp.

15. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Plenty of mids for me and if I needed more I can easily add them.

Cons-besides the price (although you certainly get what you pay for) is the single handle on top of the combo. It'd be nice to have side handles. Pretty small thing though.

No other small combo sounds so good to me.

16. It's one heck of an amp... I can't really thing of anything to complain about. I love the tone, I love the volume, I love the tone, I love the lack of weight, and oh yeah... I love the tone.

FWIW I now use two WalkAbouts... they are killer.

17. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    If I remember when I was looking at the walkabout there is no tuner out jack. For me that's a Con.

18. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I am a total Walkabout fan. Used mine for 2 years plus, stand alone, or with a few other ext cabs options (PH 1x12, Scout 15") for more air movement. Love the tone, love the design, would not trade mine for any similar or close rig that I am aware of in the market today.

pros: you have heard most of these already.

cons (if these can be considered cons):
    a truly big/honest 300w, but it's really only 300w into a 4ohm 1x12 (~500w into 2ohms). So make sure you can deal with the inherent limits of the set-up. (of course you can pull the WA head and drive cabs that are quite large with great effect)

does clean ok, but is really a tube driven tone. Not distorted at all if you don't want that (like I don't). But, it is not a sizzly, super modern slappers ideal rig IMO/IME.

in this day and age of super light hybrids with class D power and switching power supplies etc. (i.e. Genz Shuttle 6.0 12T) the WA 12 combo is pretty heavy at ~47lbs. Only 18lbs for the head though.

I find the passive radiator cab design of the combo delivers WONDERFUL deep bass within 4-6 feet of the cab, but it seems to drop off noticeably with any serious distance from the source.

all that (possibly negative stuff) being said, they'll have to pry my Walkabout from my cold dead fingers to get it away from me.

good luck, happy playing

19. How about the 8 ohm versions- do they pump enough volume for a regular 2 guitar + drums gig?

20. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Thanks guys for your opinions! I've read also whole "Walkabout megathread" - 744 posts!
    The major "-" are: loud fan, no "mute" switch, no speakons and weird pre/post DI. I'd like also to have "deep" and "bright" extra switches, but it is a different story. I know that tone is great, it's portable, but I don't know if it is worth its price (as in Europe only head costs $1800-2000). For such money there are few nice amps available.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021