Mesa/Boogie: What speaker, wattage and impedence is this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cetera, Oct 25, 2004.

1. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Further to my Mesa/Boogie 1x15 cab question thread.....

I took the 15" speaker out of the cabinet and it did not say anything on it re:manufacturer/impedence etc.

This is what was on it:

Stamped on the magnet: 815 0593 508
    Stamped on the cone: 79629
    Sticker on side of speaker cone frame: 8999

Can anyone identify from these numbers the speaker manufacturer, the wattage and the impedence? :confused:

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!! :)
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think you need to call/email the factory on that one, dude. Even I don't know what those numbers represent.
  3. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Thanks Mr Strange, I will do.... :)

In the meantime, anyone else out there have any ideas? :confused:

I was thinking maybe the magnet number (815 0593 508) means something like:

8(8 ohms) 15 (15" speaker)

05 (May) 93 (1993)

508 (speaker production number)

Would that make sense? Still wouldn't explain the wattage though... :confused:
  4. You should be able to read the impedance in ohms with the maplin meter. Take the red lead and put it on the + terminal on the speaker connector and the black test lead on to the negative terminal. Do not have your amp connected while doing this !!

Make sure the meter is set to ohms ( resistance ) first put test leads together should read approx 0 ohms on the meter put leads on speaker connector and it will read approx the impedance enough to determine if 4 ohm, 8 ohm etc.

Sometimes there is varnish type covering on the connector so gently scrape the test probe on the connector to make good contact.

If no reading it may mean dead speaker ?? !!

Ive heard of a trick of connecting a small battery to the speaker to see which way the cone moves ( this is used for checking speaker polarity i..e + or - terminals