Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joshsmog, Nov 18, 2003.

1. ok i just want some info on an amp before i start saving up the pennies.

Can i get these tones out of a Mesa 400+:

1. Growly tone that will knock the house down and pummle its foundation.

2. Nice warm tone like john paul jones and such.

3. Metal tone like cliffburtons clean tone and tone like steve harris

The amp looks right and i heard you can get a growly tone out of it but i jsut wanna check with you guys before saving up because if i dont know what im saving for the money doesnt stay that long
    :meh: thanks

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    yes you can ...

But TRY IT !

:D :D

3. I've got one, it does all those things. Don't buy it new, get one off ebay like I did for $700, and you will be the best bassist ever.

Seriously, there is so much flexibility with that amp. Mesa has a thing for push/pull knobs that change the tonality or frequency response of a control, and any combination will dramatically alter the sound. Plus the graphic EQ is super handy. Heavy, though...lift with your legs.

4. ok thanks, most mesa dealers dont have one so i cant try it out unless i order one. yeah i was orignaly gonna go used as i do with everything, im cheap :D

5. anyone else that has one or used one care to share their opinions about the amp?

ps, how much would a set of tubes cost and what tubes do you recomend for the tones listed?

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Best amp ever IMHO period....

Electro Harmonic for the preamp tubes
    +
    Svetlana's for the power tubes. = Warm crunchy goodness /:bassist:

On a side note if you buy one used and by the rare chance that you don't like it, chances are you will be able to re-sell it and get your money back rather easily. :cool:

7. anyone else? how much are the tubes you said? what are some other brands of tubes to look for.

8. I love my Mesa 400+, I use JJ's for tubes I paid 180.00 for power and i think like 30.00 for the pre amp tubes. I get nice lows without the mud, ringing mids and smooth highs.

In fact I love Mesa so much, I'm getting a D-180. Talk about a classic.