Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PUNK&DONUTS, Jan 29, 2001.

1. I tried out a Mesa-Boogie set up today not sure what it was just know it was about 400w going through 4x10 loved the sound and am wanting to know what some of there good heads are in the 350-600w size and matching cabs. If anyone out there has a Mesa set up whats your opinion on them and how much approx is a 400w, 4x10 set up. Thanks!
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    It sounds like a "Bass 400+". This beast has been a workhorse for some time.
    One of the few negatives I've heard is the cost of re-tubing (12 6L6's in the finals :eek: ).

( )

Basis M-2000 600 watt / hybrid (tube & mosfet)
    ( )
    M-Pulse 360 & 600 360 & 600 watts, resp. / also hybrid.
    ( )
    ( )
    Mesa cabs
    I've got the (discontinued?) "Buster" 200 watt, all-tube head. I run it through
    an SWR "Big Ben". The Ben's got that stoopid-quick Bag End driver. I know.
    A tube amp through an 18? me crazy (chorus: YOU'RE CRAZY! :( ). I'm happy :) .
    The Buster itself is very "quick" (transient-response wise). This rig'll bust your gut
    quicker than a bag of chips with Olestra :p .
    That's hard to say. A new 400+ ain't cheap. There's a used one NOW on eBay.
    ( )
    The bid's currently at $700. You can probably get a decent 4x10 to bring the whole
    package in under $2K (USD).
  3. If you buy a new 400+ they will enclose a half off coupon for retubing so you will be fine for a couple of years. I love my 400+, too bad it is so heeeeaavy. But the sound is very nice and versatile.
  4. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I've been using a Mesa-Boogie 400+ for over a year now. I absolutely LOVE it!!! It sounds killer, the EQ is easy to use and effective, and it is extremely durable. My cabs are a bit more than what you're talking about (2x15 & 6x10) but I'm sure the head would suit your needs. Its well worth the price....go for it!!!!
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I just sold a Mesa D-180, like a 400+ but only 200 watts. Best offer I got for it was $400, I had no nibbles at $500 for over six months.

There's not a huge difference between 200 and 400 watts in real world conditions (3 DB, actually), so don't pass up a D-180 if you see one.
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    brianr~ You dawg! :D Did that D-180 have the two, cascadable inputs?
    Talk about naturally crunchy bass tones. My Buster's only got the one input.
    It looks like two, but the other 1/4" is for the EQ footswitch.
    The Buster DOES have a gain & master for some buttery compression though.

(do I love tubes? hell yeaah! :p )
    This just in (bad email address?)...
    [Edited by notduane on 01-30-2001 at 10:44 AM]
  7. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I've been using a MESA/Boogie BASS 400+ with a MESA 4x10 and a MESA 1x15 and love tone. A new BASS 400+ is $1,299 and the MESA 4x10 is $799 (diesel) or $1049(road ready). They're not cheap but definately worth it.
  8. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    That's too bad, brian, must've been the wrong time. I just got $900Can. trade in value on my D-180. Just too darned heavy in a rack with effects. OK as a touring rig when you've got crew to help hump gear but when it's one on one with your gear...