Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob Maltbie, Feb 28, 2004.

1. hey
    I was just wondering what u guys think about mesa boogie bass amp are they of good quality?do they sound nice? :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Some people call them the Ferrari of bass amps. MB makes some of the best amplification material around. Just about every rock band uses their amps, weather it be bass or guitarists. If you can get one, GET one! ;)

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Feh- Mesa/Boogie sucks. Get a Crate.

4. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH

:D You're funny.

5. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Could not have said it better myself! Everytime I plug into my recently acquired Mesa M-Pulse 600 I pinch myself to make sure that I'm not dreaming! Mesa, where have you been all my life!?! :hyper:

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I love my Mesa. For the price it's a good medium between the lower end bass amps and the extremely high end bass amps (Aguilar, Eden, etc.).

7. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    OK, I guess that makes my EBS a McLaren SLR. ;)

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What are you on? Some people call them the boat anchors of bass amps. Almost no pro bass players use them. There are much better bass amps out there for the money. That said, if I were going to buy a guitar amp, it'd be Mesa. That's the basis of their reputation, not bass amps.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Their first amp ever was a bass amp... perhaps that was a springboard for all their guitar designs (?).

I think they are the Ferrari of amps for me. Well built, solidly engineered, and really great guys to boot. You can't go wrong getting one of those.

I personally think that Ampeg are the boat anchor, but that's just me.

10. Ah Munji, it's good to hear your rantings. What would this board be without you. :p

Seriously though, IMHO you won't find a better bass amp than a Mesa. They are powerful, musical, tonally flexible and well built. We've been through the whole Eden vs. Mesa thing many times over the past few years... they are BOTH great amps. After comparing them side by side I went with the Mesa, I'm pretty sure Munji would go with the Eden. Other TBer's would pick Aguilar, Walter Woods, or EA. It's all a matter of taste.

So, to answer the original question of this thread; yes, they are of good quality and they sound great too.

11. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    basstriaxis, I was under the impression that the Boogie was the first amp ever made by Mesa. It's in the little story in the Mesa catalogue about how Randall Smith squished a high power 12" guitar speaker into a fender princeton and rebuilt the circuitry it to make the first Boogie in '69. Apparently Santana played it and loved it and that's how Mesa got its start. The 130 bass head came out in '71 as the catalogue says.

Anyways, I'm a firm proponent of Mesa. They have fabulous engineers and make incredible amps, be they bass or guitar. I have not played a Mesa that was not of the highest quality.

12. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    ...maybe you should switch to guitar! :D

13. lance

lance

Feb 28, 2004
    if anyone is intrested the best place to get boogie bass gear is Westcoast Music Inc. in canada im very happy with the pricing and service . oh btw they sell dingwall handmade basses from canada also the most unbelievable woods and craftsmanship ive ever seen i cried when i got my bass . they gave me the inlay i wanted no charge. dingwall basses link is on their website . dont buy a bass or amp till you check these guys out. http://www.westcoastguitars.com

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I must confess that I liked the 400+, but I can't get a decent tone out of any of their SS stuff. And I didn't even mention the E-word. It just goes without saying by now.

15. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I love the sound of tubes, but i picked the mesa 400 over ampeg stuff. Not too much tube stuff to pick from out there, but I really like the warmth and punch of my mesa. I haven't found a better sound for me yet at least.

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I am well aware of the company history; I am a Boogie nerd. The first amps Randall was working on were Princeton Boogies: Fender hot rods. The first amp he built from scratch was a bass amp for Patrick Burke, called a Bass 450. He only made one, and started making the Bass 130 a few years later. I have been looking for a Bass 130 for years now, and have yet to have seen one in person. I would pay almost anything to have one.

17. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Interesting. I knew you were a Mesa buff, which is why I mentioned it. When I have the money I plan on picking up some more stuff.

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I really like the variety of good tones available from the (no longer in production) M-2000 (one SS preamp, one Tube preamp, & one SS poweramp -- preamps blendable). I would like to own a couple of them.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Funny ... the M-2000 is the amp that turned me off to Mesa. Because I was so attracted to all the knobs, switches, lamps and gew-gaws, I spent a couple hours in the store searching for tone. It didn't happen. It's a very cool looking amp.

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That seems to happen to alot of people. I found it pretty easy to dial in a good tone, but some people get lost in the knobs. If you approach it one section at a time, it's actually a very simple amp.