1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mesa/boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brandon Cancho, May 19, 2002.

1. i never hear anyone around here talk about mesa/boogie cabs or amps. are they sub-par? justin chancellor from tool uses them and i love his tone. i am looking to get a new cab soon and the powerhouse 1000 with 1 15 and 4 10's looked nice but i have never heard it. any feedback on this brand?

2. well go play a few :)

I've only played the older road ready models (specifically a 2x15 and a 2x10) and they are awesome and rugged AND heavy. I don't know about the newer ones. The only threads I've read on here seem to be negative on the newer Mesa amps, but haven't heard any negative things about the cabs. They are nice and small. As always, let your ears do the buying.

Greg

ps - I've never owned Mesa's so this advice is from short term usage.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I just advised a bassist to get a small 1-15 MB cab that was in a local used gear store. With a 400W EV driver, that cab is a steal. Unexpectedly nice mids and highs.

There's also an M-2000 there, on top of a custom built 175 lb., 1-18/ 2-210 + horn cab that sounds downright scary. I've never heard a big bass cab that clear, punchy, articulate, deep... and loud. This must be what the Accugrooves are like;).

Apparently it's not for sale. It would make an excellent house rig for a club.

4. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I have a Mesa Diesel 1x15 and a 2x10 with 500 watts going to each cabinet and I can say that they are plenty loud and articulate. I tried out a new Mesa Powerhouse 1000 for about three weeks and loved the beast BUT I just didn't feel like lugging it around so I returned it. It has all PAS drivers and had a great tone from low to high.....very happy with it tone wise....just didn't want to transport it.
    I have heard complaints about the new series of cabinets as compared to the Diesel or Road Ready and I can't offer much of an opinion because my 2x10 and 1x15 have not been compared side by side to the versions in the other series.
    Tone is subjective and so is my opinion.....I chose the Mesa over SWR, GK, Acme (which I loved by the way:eek: ), Peavey, and Ampeg and have never been happier gear-wise.
    Ya' gotta get out and do some side by side comparisons to find out what suits you.........I had a target sound and found it BUT you might hate my tone (just like my drummer :rolleyes: )

5. thanks for all of the feedback. i know ultimately i will need to try it out for myself but i was just wondering if they were even worth considering. by the way the mesa boogie site doesnt list prices. does anyone know where i could find them or about how much a powerhouse 1000 runs? thanks again.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Sub-par!!!????! :mad: are you crazy or what!!

Mesa/Boogie cabs are probably the best of the "mainstream". They definately blow away Ampeg, GK, SWR, et al. I can't compare them to EA or Bergandito or those other high end cabs, but they are definately excellent. My early 90's Road Ready 4x10 is definately the best cab I've ever played through. Its heavy as a rhino, but its worth it when you plug that baby in and start playin' :D

7. Watch out before you buy one, though. Just try to lift it or pull it up some stairs. It's heavy.

8. Maybe you should do a search freind...most of us probably just got tired of gushing about them for so long. Mesa cabs and amps are second to none IMO and of much higher quality than the majority of popular brands out there; perhaps a wee more "boutique." I have owned a whole slew of Mesa stuff as well as many of the trendiest SWR and Eden products and everytime the Boogie gear was a head above the rest. Whether or not your band-pals are still around at 3 am to help you load out that butt-heavy gear is another matter...
    :D

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    What lo-end and Mad Subwoofer said. And there has been at least a half dozen threads on Talkbass about MB cabs and amps in the last month or so. Do a search. A Powerhouse cab is a lotta cab, both sonically and pound-wise. Go find one and load it into your vehicle before you even think about owning one.

10. when you talk about wieght how much are we talking about. i had a vintage sun cab (6x10) and it weighed like 150 pounds. are we talking way more than that?

11. Mesa Boogie makes great sounding amps and cabinets. Certainly not sub par sonically, especially the 400+ :D. Their quality control has gotten a bit scary recently, though. I've seen a lot of their recent stuff with serious reliability problems. The problems don't seem to have manifested themselves in bass amps though, as of now they seem to be limited to guitar amps. I personally know 3 guys who bought Nomad combos. All of them crapped out so often that they got sick of it and brought them back. The dealership dropped the line because of the reliability problems. Let's hope it's just a glitch.....

12. Hadn't heard anything about reliability issues..if one ever did experiance an "issue" Mesa has some of the finest customer service you'll ever stumble across. tube stuff can be notoriously bitchy but the beauty of the Mesa designs make things very easy to diagnose. IE: my 400+ blew a tube and fuse and all I had to do to finish the eve was to replace the fuse and yank out the tube...very cool.

13. The major problems I've seen have been in the guitar combos. But they've been severe. One of my buddies is one of the top tube amp service people in Canada and he said that he's had to fix a dozen or more of them in the last year or so. Cheap tube sockets, bad OTs and terrible soldering were his primary complaints. Like I said earlier, this is a new thing for Mesa, their QC and reliability have been very good in the past. let's hope the problems with the guitar amps are just a glitch and not the way of the future at Mesa Boogie.

14. I am visiting the bay area currently and will be stepping into the Mesa factory tommorrow afternoon. How bout them potaters?

15. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    As a previous owner of a slew of Mesa gear, I would say IMO that they had the best construction that I've seen for bass equipment. Period. Not to mention they all sounded great! My 4x10 flew out the back of my pickup truck and tumbled into the backyard onto some rocks and it didn't hardly scuff it. Absolutely no damage. Their customer support is great too. Yes, they are heavy...my 4x10 weighed 130 lbs! Great, pro gear all the way. Maybe I'll get another Mesa amp someday...

I prefer Eden cabinets for what I play now, but that's not important...

Go for Mesa...you'll like it.:cool:

16. I recently bought a Mesa WalkAbout... it's a small, lightweight, and solidly built bass head. It only weighs 13lbs, has VERY versatile tone, and just flat out sounds BIG! I'm in love with this amp... should have gotten it years ago!

17. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    The Mesa Powerhouse 1000 is $1199....and there is no dealing on the price with new Mesa gear. As far as the weight on the cabinet....it wasn't bad for the size at all (just more than I felt like I wanted to deal with on a regular basis). The new Mesa bass cabinets are lighter than the previous "diesel" series so they are a little easier to handle tham they used to be. I can't imagine it was more than 150 lbs.

18. Ask 'em how the nomad series is working out. :D

19. Nomad is a guitar amp...ick!
    :p

20. again i realize that i need to ultimately check it out for my self but i am a college student and there arent any decent music stores near by that carry meas equipment, but are the mesa geared more toward hard rock. i own a warwick streamer stage II and i play a style somewhere in between tool, primus and incubus if you can imagine. would the tone produced from a mesa possibly suite my tastes?