Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogies

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brandonwhite, Jan 2, 2002.

1. brandonwhite

brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    AR
    Does anyone know how much a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000 would cost and if it is worth it?

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I'm not for sure but I think it's around 1200. I's good but to much money. Look at higher class stuff. I got my Epifani 2x12 for 800 and it beats the mesa in every aspect!

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Every aspect except gut-rattling volume!

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    amen to that, mesa/boogie cabs rule. I think they're the best in the world.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Fershure, RBMan.

6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Have any of you tried the Epifani?

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Brandon, you can catch those Powerhouses used sometimes. A guy had one on music.recycler.com a month or so ago in Santa Barbara, CA for $800. It's an awesome sounding cab, especially for serious rock but man, that sucker is big and heavy. I hope you got a big truck, bro! Is it worth it? Hell, yeah if you really need that much cab and you got the amp beef to drive it.

8. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I couldn't agree more!!!:cool:

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Its a two man operation to lift my road ready 4x10. The thing's only like 2 feet tall, but damn its heavy! Me and my dad practically killed ourselves moving it around.

Weight is the only real problem with Mesa/Boogie cabs. But I think its that heavy weight that makes them sound so solid and good.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually it's the same thing that makes any cabinet sound good: good speaker components and good design.

The non-Road Ready models sound exactly the same and weigh a lot less.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You should go hear the Epifani 2-12, you might change your mind. Those cabs can get ridiculously loud.

I've always liked Mesa cabs, BTW I think they sound good and are a good value.

12. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I don't doubt that the epi 2-12 is a good sounding cabinet, and I don't doubt that it's loud. But if you're telling me that it's as loud as the mesa 1000 that has four tens and a 15, well... I don't buy it!

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Your first sentence is 2/3 correct. You forget to add good cab materials. That's also why your second statement is, at least according to my experience, incorrect. I've A/B'd a number of Boogie RR's and Diesels, for instance, and they never sound anything like "exactly the same." The Road Ready's use heavier wood for construction, as well as somewhat different cab design. Of course, the older RR's had different drivers, too. My Road Ready 2x15 and 4x10 cabs, for instance, have EV and Eden drivers, respectively. Mesa has only recently begun to standardize drivers in their current line. Your comment may be correct as regards the current line; I haven't had the opportunity to do blind back-to-back listening tests. But then, neither have you, have you?