Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Booogie M-Pulse Quality Issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LDV, Aug 16, 2003.

1. LDV

LDV

Aug 2, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I recently purchased an MPulse 600. While I am very satisfied with the sound, I am beginning to wonder about Mesa's quality assurance. The first time I went to use the effects loop, it failed. A week later I was at a gig that did live recording and the Direct Out jack kept shorting out.

I've talked to a few folks that have had bad luck with the smaller Walkabout.

Anyone else experiencing "issues"? How has Mesa handled them?

2. bazzhed4

bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    i am a mesa mpulse 600 user and i have to say that i have never had any reliablitlity issues at all. now i cant say much for the effects loop as i have only used it a few times because i am runnig basically a clean sound and using my stingray sound as my natural grind. im sorry i cant really help you out on anything but i cant say anything negative about my mpulse. i just wish it was a 400+. i will own one someday but until then i am 110% satisfies with my 600.

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey, for those of you who are Mesa Mpulse 600 users, I had a few questions for you.

1.) My Mesa Mpulse600 ocassionally gets what sounds like radio interference coming in. It sounds like a radio station is ocassionally coming into the amp, does this happen to you?
    2.) While i'm playing an ocassional pop will take place. This happens frequently, but I noticed that it happens even more when something like a refidgerator or a paper shredder is activated within a 30 yard radius.
    3.) The Pop also takes place when I turn off the amp.

I don't think these things are normal, but for those of you who have had problems, have you ever heard of this happening or has it happened to you? I love the sound of the mesa, but to be honest i'm a bit disheartened by this whole ordeal. And for those of you whom had problems with Mesa M-Pulse products, how did Mesa do with warrantying your products. Thanks for your guys help.

-P

4. I dropped by the Petaluma factory last year and the Mesa folk were kind enough to stop what they were doing to give nme a 45 min tour of the entire facility. Each of their heads went through extensive and (sometimes frighteningly) rigorous testing b4 they ever left the factory. At many points on the assembly line I saw the heads pushed, pulled, cranked and thumped to weed out any bugs. I think their stuff is top notch and was impressed by how far they went to insure quality. That said....I know of a few instances where hassles with the fx loops have come up in the M-Pulse line. I'd still snatch one up in a second if I needed to...Wicked service in my experiance.

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I used the M-Pulse 360 while waiting for a repair to my Workingman Series head...not a bad little unit...but I didn't like the effects loop though...made my subharmonic synth sound like crap...

...as far as the pops go...I'd suggest if you're not already using a decent power bar with surge protection, then you should do so...sounds like power fluctuations may be causing those pops...a decent power conditioner would be the best solution to that, actually...

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Walkabout, and while I have seen a number of posts regarding problems that people have had with the M-Pulse line (particularly the effects loop contacts), mine has been working flawlessly.

Tom.

7. I had catastrophic problems with a 360 which included but were not limited to bad effects loop and input jacks.

I ended up returning it in unplayable condition.

There have been some discussions about the input jacks on the board - sounds like that is the most common problem. I've not heard anyone else mention the more serious problems I had, so I probably just got a lemon.

How's that gig bag holding up Tom?:bassist:

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Great! Now I just need to find a Walter Woods Ultra High Power to go with it! :D

Tom.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I live an hour away from the Petaluma factory, and have been there several times. I will have to say those guys are nuts about QC. Anytime that you are experiencing a problem, you should contact them. Sometimes parts can start acting funny even after they have gone through a rigorous series of testing. Input jacks are essentially a moving part, so are generally more prone to problems than say, a resistor or capacitor. They are also generally super easy to fix, so keep that in mind before you chuck an amp out the window.

By the way, RevGroove, I think your synth would sound better before the amp, not in the loop. Since a synth is essentially a tone generating device (like your bass), it *should* go before the amp. Pugging your bass into the return on the FX loop would probably sound like crap too.

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Fellow Mesa Users,

Don't be alarmed. I went up to the Petaluma (2 and 1/2 hour drive up there and another 2/1/2 back), but it was well worth my time to have Mike take care of me. Within an hour they did a full diagnostic on my Mpulse 600 and did some regular maint. on it for free. They replaced my input jacks so they work flawlessly now. I have to give it up to Mesa for being so supportive of their products and their customers. I just called in advance and they told me to come down and from that point I was taken care of like I was a rockstar. It was great, I got a tour of the facility and how things worked and was even prevy to a new line of bass amps that they have in the works. Its 2 ohm Stable and will be more powerful than the current Mpulse series, which is pretty cool. 750 watts I think. Anyway, my problems had to do with the wiring in my building. The pop is being accentuated by the tweeter in my aguilar speakers and the radio frequency is due to the fact that the building I reside in has older non-shielded wiring that is acting as a radio antenna. I thought this was sort of a strange excuse, but when I try the amp anywhere else except in my dorm, the problems cease to exist. So long story short...I'm once again a happy camper, but the trip still cost me probably $30 in gas, but it was worth it to get my picture in front of the Mesa/Boogie sign.

-Poon

11. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Thanks for the tip basstriaxis. I've tried it both ways, and found that while a pedal synth i.e SYB and OC series pedals, works better in line, my rack dbx 120A subharmonic synth does actually sound better in the 'loop after the dbx 266XL compressor I'm currently using (with both channels daisy chained in series)I run my Boss V-Wah inline.

12. The DBX120XP has always worked well for me in the loop as well. Just watch your levels (the two "sythesised freq. ones) for clipping and you will be fine.
    Can't say enough 'bout Mesa customer service...they will go to great lengths to make you happy and proud of yer Mesa item in my experiance. I will always try to support companies who will stand behind their products the way they have. I mean...I can even get the dude who designed my rig on the phone if need be...that's cool(!)
    Obssesive about the quality control thing most definitely.
    Side note; if you ever do make it to the Petalu7ma industrial park there, be sure to check out the Lagunita's brewery across the street. Amazing products....that IPA is a STELLAR brew and they are good folk. You Californian's are a lucky bunch.

13. Man!!, I need to go to Calfiornia, and take a tour too.:bassist: :D :)

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You could always crash at my place. Just watch out for the crazies and the nymphos.

15. bazzhed4

bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    nympho's???????

when can you pick me up at the airport basstriaxis

but seriously folks. are the issues with the mesa mpulse something that i need to look into. i have absolutely no probs with my unit. no radio bleedover....no input jack problems...no effects are used so no problem with the loop....but after reading this post....im wondering if i should wait on the warwick thumb bass and consider spending the money on a backup head considering i dont have one. and considering i live in maryland, it would be kinda hard to drive to cali to get my head serviced.

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    May I suggest the Walkabout Scout as a backup? Since you like the tone of the M-Pulse, having a fly rig would be convenient. The combo can be used as a head, as well.

17. ARGH! Just started having input jack problems too... like today (hence my forum search for "Mpulse jack problems", which brought me directly here). I hope they've had to swap out enough of these inferior jacks to make a change in what they're using. I'd hate to have them replace this one with the same part. Wondering when the replacement is going to go bad would drive me bonkers. DANG IT! :mad:

18. Rumble Bee

Rumble Bee

Aug 15, 2005
    Hi,
    I had the same problem with mine popping and wierd noise coming out of it. I sent it back and they did everything they could to figure it out and also did updates to it and sent it back with no problem found. Well to make a long story short it was my laptop transformer that was causing the problem everytime it went on and off to charge the battery. I own a house built in the 50's and the wiring back then had alot of plugs on one circuit and just so happen that I was on the circuit that the laptop was on and the Mesa was picking that up. Mesa is incrediable for customer service ... Top Notch.

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I bought my Walkabout in July and had effects loop jack problems almost right away. I called Mesa and they suggested that I clean the jacks with contact cleaner.

I did that and all was fine until last weekend when I took my amp to try out a AccuGroove Tri210-L (which I bought). About three notes into the audition, the amp crapped out and only bridging the effects loop with an instrument cable brought it back to life. Time to clean it again and then call Mesa about it.

I do love the sound of that amp though...

20. Well, for what it's worth, I decided to try cleaning the contacts of my input jacks (active jack was the only one giving problems). Lo and behold, my problem has disappeared. Doesn't look to be an equipment quality issue, per se; but just a poorly designed jack. The only contact point for the sleeve section of the plug is a small tab inside the barrel of the jack, as opposed to the ones we're all used to with the entire barrel being the contact. I assume that if any amount of corrosion, etc. accumulates on that contact, it will result in the crackles and noise I was getting. We'll see how long this lasts. I guess all things considered, it wouldn't piss me off too much if I had to do this a couple times a year. It took less than 2 minutes to do. By the way, I just scrubbed the contact points with WD-40 on a Q-Tip.