1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Buster 210 Combo $500: Good Price?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justinb515, Nov 29, 2006.

1. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    Ok so I walked into my local music store, and lo and behold there is an old all-tube Mesa Buster 210 combo laying on the floor for sale for $500 even. I plugged in and was blown away. What was even cooler was the luggage handle and wheels! It needs it, as it weighs about 100 pounds. The tone was amazing, everything seemed to be in working order, and It was just retubed, has all original paperwork and everything. Is $500 a good price for this amp?

2. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I'd pay $500 for one. I'm actually looking for a buster head right now.

3. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    +1, Not sure if it's worth it or not but *I* would buy it if I could.

4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'm about to grab a Buster head for $650, so the 2x10 combo sounds like a good price. I did see a Buster 1x15 combo recently listed for $800, so again, $500 sounds good for a clean, working recently retubed rig like that.

5. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    yep, i'd say its a good price- if you don't buy it let us know! :ninja:

6. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    Ya know, I am not sure if that is really a good deal for you....So.....If you might just let me know what shop that amp is at(specific directions please)....I can ...um.....go by and take a look at it to asses it's worth.....if ya get my meaning....:ninja:

7. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Dude that's a killer price.

8. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    Ok guys, thanks a million for your responses, looks like I'm going to be $500 poorer tomorrow. One more question...do you think my active lakland will be a good match for it? It sounded wonderful when I played it in the store with an old p-bass, but that is expected. Give me your $.02...

9. I just picked up a Mesa D-180(all tube 180 watts)for $600 w/a matching 1x15. I considered it a great deal, & still not too bad even after paying $150 for shipping. $500 is great for the Buster- but I think you caught that by now. ;) As for how the Lakland should sound through it, my passive Fender sounds AWESOME through my 180, & so does my active Stambaugh 6. I tried my fretless 7 through it before sending it off to pay for a new Stammie, & it just thundered. A well-mic'ed kazoo would likely sound good through either rig, IMO. :D

10. The buster combo 2x10 was the most cold sounding tube amp I have ever owned. The tone controls don't function like they should, and it was so bright, it hurt! If you like non-warm, ultra modern ear-splitting treble, then go for it. Not my cup o' tea.

11. I loved the Buster when I played it and think that $500 is great.
    The tone controls are passive and interact with each other. they are very different than other amps. Treble - 5, Bass - 5, Mid - 5 is NOT FLAT EQ on the Buster (or the Bass 400+, for that matter). Flat is more like treble -2, Mid - 10, Bass - 2....it's wierd and will take a little time to get used to, but once you do, you'll love it.