1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Buster Bass Issue - Tone thins out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jul 17, 2012.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I recently picked up a Mesa Buster Bass wedge combo. It is a cool amp and my experience with it matches what I have read about it (notably the unusually clean/fast response for an all-tube amp).

I got the amp in good shape aside from a replaced screen grid resistor. However, it appears that after a good run with it (30+ mins), the tone thins out and looses warmth.

It's not a super warm head to begin with and I might be crazy. For those in the know, does this sound like a possible issue?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not that I'm in the know, but it's not crazy for something like that to happen. Maybe someone else could tell you what to do, but since you just got it, I'd consider taking it to a reputable shop and let them give it a going over.

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I own 2 Buster's. Sounds like you have something crapping out to me! I've been using mine the last two weeks in 4-hour rehearsal marathons with only one 5 minute break per session!

Busters are definitely one of the cleaner & "quicker" all-tube bass amps out there. Still, it shouldn't sound "thin" at all! Unless you crank the rotary treble control (the rotary eq section is interactive- if you boost treble, you'll lose some bass).

4. Ear fatigue?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to taking it in to a reputable, qualified amp tech. It's ALWAYS a good idea, when you buy a used tube amp, to have it bench tested, and take care of any issues, BEFORE you make it worse.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.

Have you tried substituting any of the tubes yet? (you could probably sub all of your 400 tubes...)

7. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've never had that happen before...strange. The only thing that thins out mine is putting the rotary treble above noon (which thins it out a ridiculous amount).

Sounds like tech time to me.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I guess I'll take it in. I mentioned the possibe issue to my tech and he didnt have an immediate diagnosis.

Tubes should be good (supposedly a full replacement set from Mesa, though the labels on them look a little aged), though anything can happen when it comes to tubes.

I'd put in my Bass 400 tubes but they are 6550's :bassist: