Mesa Buster combo blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew West, Feb 20, 2001.

1. My Mesa Buster combo has blown a fuse twice in the last eight days. Both times I've replaced it immediately, and it's fine the rest of the night. Neither time was at high volume. I recently purchased it used, and I have no reason to believe that it has ever been abused. It still has the original power tubes (the cheap Chinese ones), and I've heard that the vibrations can shorten the life of the tubes. I was considering replacing the tubes with Svetlana's in the next few months. Should I go ahead and replace the tubes now?
  2. Bad tubes were what was causing my guitarist to blow fuses on his Mesa Mark IV. You may want to replace them pretty quick since he wasn't sure why they were blowing either but eventually the tube itself blew and he needed to have a new socket and new tubes. Not exactly a fun thing.
  3. Make sure you're using a sloblo fuse, a regular one will blow. The sloblo has a T in front of the rating, eg; T3A. The Buster suffered from blowing fuses, and when contacted, Mesa's techs said they were now using 3amp fuses. The original was 2.15, I think.
  4. I'm using 6.25 amp Slow-blo fuses, which the manual recommends.
  5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I had this same problem with my Peavey Classic 400 last year. It still had the original Coke bottle type Chinese power tubes in it. I changed them out for 8 new Sovtek 6550WE's, re-biased the amp and never looked back. My amp tech strongly recommended that I not put a slow-blow fuse in the amp IF it's not recommended by the manufacturer.
    Good luck and Cheers
  6. I just got mine recently, have not had any probs.....Try and contact Notduane he has a Buster 200 too.....Maybe he can help....
  7. Dont forget that the fuse rating is different for 110V and 220V it will be about twice as high for 110V as for 220V. My 400+ also blew fuses just after I bought it used (from a store) But I found out that they had put fast blowing fuses in it. So in with the slo-blows and never blown a fuse since. Slo Blo is also what it should be in it according to the manufacturer.. and it says so on front of the amp aswell. The fuses went at powerup, not unexpected when I found the fast blow fuse in it. There will be a lot higher current just at power up, which the fast blowing fuse couldnt handle so it blew.

Maybe this helped someone, if not then if there is a tube problem go to Mesa Homepage, they have got a very comprehensive manual for diagnosing tube problems.

Good Luck!