Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Buster Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jack Rackham, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Jack Rackham

Jack Rackham

Nov 3, 2004
    Has anyone tried one of these(the 1x15)? What do you think? Thanks

2. basmeisje

basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    Hi,

I've tried them in a store. I like the sound off the amp really much, allthough it's not my sound, but I really likes the 2x10 version a lot better then the 1x15. The 1x15 was just to slow moving and muddy, the amp has allready that all tube dark muddyness and but with the 2x10 that was okay, at the 1x15 I disliked it.

Yvette

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Mesa discontinued the Buster combos a few years back.
    IMO, right sound,right design, wrong time.

The idea of an all-tube combo didn't really fly when players are more into separate heads/cabs, or power/pre-amps and cabs than combos, and especially when the trend is towards smaller and lighter gear with sufficient volume and headroom.

BUT===I played both a 2x10 and the 15 combos and snatched a 2x10 wedge up, then added a 15 Diesel cab, resulting in the best rig I've ever owned. It has plenty of volume and headroom, and the tone from an all-tube circuit is unlike anything you can get from SS or hybrid---IMO.

The Busters are clean and simple- Vol, Bass, Treb, Mid, and an excellent 7-band graphic eq to fine tune the sound to the room. The eq is super sensitive, and there's a roundness and resonance to the tone with both active and passive basses that is very phat.

The downside is the weight- Even with the inline wheels, these amps are heavy and cumbersome to move, but that's the price you pay for tubes and transformers, as well as the care and maintenance involved in retubing. Mesa's are biased for their tubes, and they are not cheap, about $40/pair for Svetlana 6L6GC's. I understand tubes will work for the circuit are available at aftermarket for less....

The Buster heads are pretty sought after when they show up for sale, by guitarists as well as bassists. The combos, like I say, they just aren't every bassists cup of tea.

I think they sound killer, and the 15 was a great unit, with a hf horn in addition to the EVM driver. You could add a 2x10 cab if you felt you needed more punch. Have fun!

4. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I have the head version and it runs a Ampeg SVT 4x10 and 1x15 just fine. I can get some pretty gutsy tones out of it "even pretty good overdrive".

5. Had the 2x10 wedge model and the 15" with horn.
    Pros: very powerful units with THAT Mesa sound.
    Cons: had problems with the tubes; came often loose even after even short trips to the gig. Opening up the rear and tighten them was a little bother.