Mesa Buster head vs. Bass 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrew, Jan 8, 2005.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    can anyone give me a comparison to these two amps?
    -how much more headroom/volume does the 400+ have over the buster?
    -are the preamps similar in the two amps, or is the buster's pre voiced differently than the 400+?
    -what does the buster head weigh?

i have a 400+ right now, which the master volume never goes above 3 on, so i think i may be able to get by with less power.
    i've always loved the head configuration of the buster but was worried they wouldn't have the volume i'd need.
  2. I would like to know the answer to this as well... I have been looking for a 400+ when I started reading about the buster heads. I am running into a 1516 and would like some tube goodness to go into it.
  3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I tried a Buster head through a newer Mesa 6-10 and I thought it ran out of steam too quickly.(Too Mushy). The 600 sounded a lot more together... I can tell you this, The 400+ sounds very loud and hard hitting and with a Powerhouse 1000 or an 8-10, it is hard to beat. The Buster disappointed me, and did not have nearly the volume/headroom the 400+ does. I thought the same way. Try this: All stops pulled out, Use a Y cord and go into BOTH channels at the same time. # 1 on about-4 and# 2 on-2. Bass-7, Theb-6, Mid-6, and EQ kinda flat, maybe scooped a little. If you want some more grind, more#2/less#1. I bet you, if you are not happy with this, you prolly won't be happy at all.
  4. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I tried this after you posted it in a thread a while back. To sum it up: Pant-flapping goodness. :D
  5. hoytmonster

Nov 28, 2003
    I had a Buster head when they first came out. I ran it through Eden 2X10 and a 15. I agree with another poster here, mine just seemed to run out of steam and I don't play that darn loud. One time, it was the preamp tubes and replacing them helped some. But, I'd hit the no headroom range whenever I played with a couple of guitars and drums. It sounded nice in solo or low volumn applications though.

Never tried the 400. I have a Walkabout Scout that I really, really like -- but I'm into light weight rigs right now.

Good luck.
  6. I have a show tonight, and I will try this setting. I'll do it after sound check so I'm totally surprised on the downbeat of the first song, and if it sounds like hemmorhoids, I'm coming for you. :D

Actually, the 2 input thang is really awesome, I wish I'd experimented with it earlier.
  7. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I tried a few Busters, and they all reminded my of the old Bassman 100. The tone was dark and murky. The 400+ (and 400), on the other hand, is much more detailed, and just a much more versitile amp all around. I used to have a 400+ that I reluctantly sold when it seemed I would not be playing out anymore, and I had a hard time without it. I ended up getting a 400 because that sound just was too integral to what I want to do as a bassist.
  8. Rockbobmel

I got it from "Mad Subwoofer", I believe. He turned me on to it. I have tried it other ways, but always go back to this arrangement, and AaaaaHhhhhh!!!!! :)
  9. Rockbobmel

Let me know how it plays out on your gig!!
  10. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I hear it is better to use an effects box with dual outputs instead of the "Y" cable. I have had my 400+ for about 2 months and I still have yet to try this. I guess I'm worried about hurting the amp.
  11. Rockbobmel

I don't see how you could. They are inputs. I also used a Morley ABY box. Same results.
  12. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    My mistake. :smug:

I've yet to find a single-input setting to top this. :)
  13. Rockbobmel

Dude, was that you that played the "Lucky Dog" in December? I met a guy that had the same amp setup 400+ and an 8-10
  14. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Nah, wasn't me. I havent had any gigs/bands for a while. :rolleyes:

Is that a venue near you? The last time I was in Greenfield was when I went to the Garden of Eden festival this summer.

Sorry to hijack. Continue on...
  15. Rockbobmel

No, the Lucky Dog was "Sir Morgan's Cove" in Worcester. Famous for The Stones playing there. We Played with our AIC band.
  16. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois

How much do those run?
  17. Rockbobmel

I got mine at GC for $39.00 but I have seen them go for $89.00, but really, I use the Y cord that I made from a 10ft cable. You just cut it in half, then solder a jumbo jack or 1/4 plug on the cut ends with both wires to the same joints. If you use a plug, you can get a 1/4- 1/4 coupler.
  18. Well, played the gig with your (MadSub's) settings...I have a pedalboard, and the last effect in my chain is the Boss Flanger with stereo outs...took two cables from those to the inputs of the 400+...set the knobs...waited for the downbeat...

just Wow.

A very good, clean, well rounded, but clear and defined tone, even with relatively dead strings. I had to 'tame' the master volume, and I found that at '2' it was too quiet, but at '2.4' it was too loud on I dialed in '2.2875' and it was perfect.

You're lucky, man... ;)
  19. Rockbobmel

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!!