1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mesa cab has a burning smell coming from it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Breslin dp, Apr 20, 2009.

1. First off let me share what gear I'm using maybe that well help: GK 2001 rb bridged, Gk 410 rb 8 0hm cab, Mesa 1x15 PH 8 0hm cab. This was my third practice with the Mesa cab, after about three hours my guitarist said he "smelled something burning" we all checked our gear and of course it was mine. Please help!!!!:meh:

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You'd have to be playing really really loud but you could have been overheating the voice coil in the Mesa. Were you boosting the lows much? That would increase the power demands, particularly the sustained power output (which is what heats up the voice coil as opposed to the brief louder peaks on the note attack).

Alex

3. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    Fried cross-over?

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    +1...

And I've never needed more than a good 2x12 in a practice scenario. I currently use a GK Neo 410 with my GK Fusion 550, and I barely turn it up during full band practices! Not to mention, I used to run a 2001RB (bridged) with my old Neo 212, and I never needed to turn up much to be heard in the band.

I'd be curious to hear more about your band practice scenario and your EQ settings.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Is there a tweeter control on the Mesa? If so, is it turned down to zero? Either you've toasted the 15 (as Alex suggested), in which case the cabinet will not work or will be distorted or your crossover is burned (per Implosion). In bridge your amp is capable of about 1100W or 540W into each cabinet. That's a lot of power availability. What speaker cables were you using?

Paul

6. The cab still sounds great. I am using speakon cables for both cabs. The GK brand for the GK stuff and a 12 gauge wire speakon to the mesa. I am not turning up very loud, if it was numbered 0 to 10 on the volume I would be at the 2 to 3.:help:

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The actual number on the volume control has no correlation to the power the amp is producing! You could still be over driving your cabinets, as you obviously are, thus the burning smell.

You are using cabinets from different makers. Are they actually in phase? Try the battery test and make sure that ALL the cones are moving in the same direction. using a phone type speaker cable apply a 9V battery with the + to the tip and the (-) to the sleeve. Normal phase will have the cones moving out/away from the magnet structure.
    Both cabinets should do the same.

Paul

8. Thanks, I'll back off on the power. I will use the amp in mono and push 540 watts to both cabs.:)