Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa cabs - new vs. old

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I was wondering if anyone could give me a comparison on the newer powerhouse/roadready cabs against the older diesel/roadready cabs.

I have an older roadready 1x15...and I am thinking of buying one of the newer roadready 4x10 to put on top of it. If the new ones sound really good than I might replace my older RR with a new one as well.

eric

2. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    The older ones are great, IMHO. Better sounding than the new ones. Also indestructable. I had a 1x15" for years that I used as a stand-alone.

3. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    yeah i really like my older 1x15 as well. im just having trouble finding an older 4x10 to match with it.

but what do the new ones sound like against the older ones?

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I use one at a local studio. It's a 600wt 4x10". I've never used such a compact cab that moves so much air. It can push out a truly phenomenal amount of bottom end. very punchy and tight sounding.- It makes me want to play more.

5. I am not sure if they use EV speakers anymore at least not the 15" speakers.

6. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i think they use PAS speakers...i know they aren't EV anymore.

anyone with a comparison?

7. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    My old mesa cab definitely had an EV. It was great!
    Does anyone use EV's for bass anymore?

8. I thought the new mesa speakers were supposed to be PAS drivers as well, but I read a post somewere that eminence speakers are what are being used:confused:
    Anyway I chose the 1x15 powerhouse as my main cab after scrutinising a handfull, and later added the 2x10 for just a little more punch. I really like the thick smooth sound of the newer mesa cabs, but to each his own right?:)

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I greatly preferred the sound of the older RR and Diesel cabs to the newer Powerhouse series. Interestingly, I have a Diesel Powerhouse, Jr., which of course is nothing like the new "Powerhouse" line. My older Diesel 4x10 (and the RR 4x10) is about as good as the "traditional" 4x10 gets, IMHO. Of course, a newer Epi T-410UL would be awefully attractive, especially considering the weight difference!

Tom.