Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Cabs Powerhouse vs Deisel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, May 30, 2004.

1. Howcome everytime someone say's they like the powerhouse cabs, or enjoy their tone someone else always comes along and states that they must be mistaken, that the older deisel, or at best the older road ready cabs are what they are probably thinking of. They argue that they just sound better. I mean they are different cab all together, Different woods, speakers, ports, ci. and tone. There's got to be some TB'rs out there that prefer the powerhouse series. Yes, even the lighter non roadready ones.

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...for starters, the Diesel/RR cabs came equipped with EV speakers, unlike the Powerhouse series...

~S~

3. I got a Powerhouse 2x10, and the more I play it the more I like it. I combine it with an EB HD2x12 with killer results. I just think that the old Diesel EV cabs were so good, no one is giving the Powerhouse series a chance. But I'm happy with mine.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    They are completely different sounding cabs. The new series are geared more towards modern, "hi-fi" sounds, whereas the older style were more "old-school" sounding.

I find that the Powerhouse cabs have deeper lows, smoother highs, and less midrange. The Diesel cabs were characterized by less, but more focused bass, strong mids, and not as high treble response.

That said, I prefer the older cabs myself (I have 4 currently). The new ones seem a little rubbery and not as crisp as the older cabs. I like the snappiness in the midrange on the Diesels, and they break up nicely when pushed hard. I think the older cabs are much better for rock and similar styles, where the new cabs are much better for slap, funk, R&B, and such.

Both are good cabs, though. Different strokes for different folks.

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Now that the resident Mesa Boogie tb'er has spoken his thoughts....this thread will die :).

I need to figure out what I like more, I'm going to be buying a powerhouse 1000 or 4x10 1x15 setup soon....anyone wana get recordings of slap/rock/funk with their differen't MB cabs?

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Heh.

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've got an older Powerhouse 1000 and it's awesome.

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I just wrote a long-ass explanation about all of this, and for some reason IE locked up, and it's all gone! :mad:

Anyhow, it basically boiled down to the fact of your own preference. I've owned a 2x15+2x10 Diesel combo, and it was incredible. Too loud in most settings, and heavier than your car half the time. I had just a few months ago a 1x15 Powerhouse + 2x10 Diesel, and it was great. Still have the 15, and am looking to get another one. The differences are minimal. The cabs are designed different, and the Powerhouse designs to me have a much more even response when paired with my M-Pulse 600. I wouldn't consider it "hi-fi", or anything close, however. It's definitely a rock cab any way you look at it. Thing that sells it for me is the weight. Those tiny tone nuances that only you notice (as opposed to other bandmembers and the audience), don't really come into factor that much if you have to lug the extra weight around. The Diesel cabs are incredible, no doubt, but the Powerhouse designs are just as good sounding, and better in looks (IMO) and weigh a ton less. Whichever way you choose, it's still Mesa for bass.

Also, I've not seen many old Mesa cab gear when seeing bands on tour, but only the new stuff. Since Mesa doesn't endorse (last I heard), if there was that much of a difference, I think people who'd been using that stuff for so long would've kept it if the sound was that much affected.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    There aren't as many people using the older style cabs because they weren't as readily available then as they are now. Boogie's popularity has skyrocketed in the last 5 years or so, so more people are using them on stages around the world.

And Boogie does have endorsers, but none of them get free gear. They get a minimal discount, and that's it. Santana has paid for every single one of his Boogies, and he's been using them for 30 years!

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah, that's what I meant. :) I remember this one guy at G.C. told me a few years back when I was playing on this killer 400+/8x10 rig, "If Eddie Van Halen had to pay for his Mesa/Boogies, you can bet everyone else has to!"

Well, that could be part of it, but I know people like Justin Chancellor traded up his Diesel rig for Powerhouse right before the "Lateralus" tour. So, just kinda makes me wonder.

I see that you're quite a Mesa fanatic, and that's awesome! What's your rig consist of?

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think Justin may have changed them because his sound is more characterised by scooped mids, which the new cabs seem to do well. Or perhaps his roadies got sick of carrying them.

My Mesa stuff? Let's see:

BassTriaxis
    Buster! 200 head
    Strategy 500
    Strategy 400
    Coliseum 300
    M-2000
    Custom Walkabout (crocodile!)
    2x10 Diesel Roadready
    1x15 Diesel Roadready
    2x10 Diesel bass wedge (x2)
    Midi Matrix (x2)
    Vtwin pedal
    12 space shock rack
    5 space rack bag
    2 space rack bag
    Boogie T-shirt

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    The Strategy and Coliseum's are just power amps, right? Didn't even know they made a BassTriaxis! Badassed!

What do you think (honestly) of the 400+'s?

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes, they are just power amps. No, they don't make a BassTriaxis (unless it's for me). Badassed indeed.

The 400+? I like them. It's a similar power section to the Strat 400, which is my favorite power amp of all time. A 400 and a 400+ are on my list.

14. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ben do you by chance have a current price list on the Mesa Shock Racks?

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Sorry, but I have forgotten my password to the Boogie secret support site. The price lists are in there, but I can't get to them.

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Do you need a Mesa Shock Rack for the 400+? Or is it just a really good idea? I have Grundorf 4-space, and didn't know if I'd need to upgrade or not if I got the all-tuber.

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I dont' think a shock rack is terribly necesssary unless you are gigging ALOT. Keep in mind that they are pretty heavy, too.

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah I knew they were, what with all 12 tubes and such. Cool, thanks. I'll just get an ATA 6 sp. since I need a spot for my trust power conditioner.

19. I went to guitar center today and saw a Powerhouse 1000 for 799.00, the guy told me that they are coming out with new Powehouse cabs and the old ones are being discontinued. Hmm..I wonder how those will stack up.

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Interesting. I was just at my G.C. this past weekend and they had ZERO Mesa inventory (except for a used 400+), but figured they sold something as "on sale" not authorized by Mesa and got their license revoked. Seen it plenty before. But maybe that was it. It's a high traffic G.C. down in Austin, so maybe all of the inventory was gone. I haven't read anything about it on the Mesa site, only about the new head. I wonder when they're supposed to ship? :confused: :eyebrow: