1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Carbine/Fathom thoughts and opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Holy War, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    may be picking one up soon. Any users past or present out there? How does it hold up in a band thats playing heavy metal/hard rock?

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    there's a review in bass gear magazine you might find useful.

4. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    awesome, thanks

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It just kills. Great amp! It is not as low-mid heavy (or as warm, thick, round) sounding as some of the other 'hybrid' heads from Mesa/Boogie (like the M-Pulse 600 or BB750, etc.), but it has gobs of power, and a very articulate tone. You can certainly dial in some low-mid beef, too, if that is your desire. But it always stays tight, clean, and articulate, even when you thicken things up.

Tom.

6. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    I agree w/ Tom, great amp.

7. akane2

akane2

Sep 28, 2008
    So the M6 wouldn't necessarily be very conductive with a P bass i suppose eh?

8. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    I've had great results with my M6 combo and P-bass. Finally got to use it on a gig today (outdoor gig at that). The sound was clear, punchy, and tight, and I was able to get some grind going by running the gain past 12:00.

The only frustrating thing is that the amp is so loud I haven't been able to really push it. Even outdoors (with PA support) I had the gain just past noon and the master volume was under 25%.

Sounded great, though.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I also agree with Tom, he summed it up perfectly.

10. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    This amp rips. I enjoy it very much. Mesa hit a home run with this amp IMO. The simiplicity and voicing options are great. Less is more for me. I sold my 400+ after playing this. It can really cover all areas. I am in a metal band but get great funk and blues tone too. One thing I love for the live situation is the DI volume can be adjusted on the front, making plugging in the house a snap.

A real testament to the amp is a festival we played last week their bass player needed to borrow my rig. I was in the crowd listening with a big smile on my face. He didn't touch the tone controls and it ripped! My guitarist came up to me after their set and was like, " dude... I was listening to that bass tone thinking wow how amazing it is, and realized it was your rig!" I get a lot of compliments and inquiries from other bass players too, wondering where I get that agressive full tone from; then they are shocked to stare at my rack that just houses my head and a tuner. No BBE maximizers, compressors, preamps, just plug-n-play. My band loves my tone too, and that means a lot to me.

The mosfet technology is coming a long way. My back appreciates the M6 over the 400+ too. I am now wondering if I want to go with a Mesa 215 cab instead of my 1000 series, or use both :hyper::D

11. akane2

akane2

Sep 28, 2008
    how do you think a m6/ avatar 410 neo/ Geddy Jazz bass would sound? Im thinking this is my ideal rig. no?

12. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Just pulled the trigger on one of these off of ebay (one of the earlier ones labeled Fathom). With my 10% off eBAy coupon, and the live.com 25% discount, I got it for $540 which I think is a pretty good deal. Looking forwarding to seeing if I can make it grunt a bit. :)

JR

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    damn.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice. :cool:

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas

[...what they said...]

damn nice!

:)

16. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    Got mine last night. Can't wait till Fri night to put it to the test.