1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Carbine with 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RSmith, Oct 9, 2010.

1. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Can I run my Carbine with a 4 and 8 ohm cab at the same time? Please advise!

2. Yes.... put it on the 2ohm setting, since you will be operating the amp close to that impedance (2.67ohms). Just realize that the 4ohm cab will be getting 2/3's the power, and the 8ohm would be getting 1/3 the power. This works wonderfully if you have a 4ohm 410 and an 8ohm 210, since each driver will be getting roughly the same power. With other combinations, not so much, but just use your ears to make sure you aren't overdriving one of the cabs.

3. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Thanks for the response, thats what I thought. Until I can save up for a Bergantino I will need to use a Peavy 4x10 and 2x10.

4. Are your cabs the TVX ones? If so, rewire the 2x10 to series- this will raise it's impedance to 16 Ohms. Used along with your 8 Ohm 4x10, you'll have a 5.3 Ohm total load, and all the speakers will receive the same amount of power. You're welcome.:D