Mesa D-180 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seccho, Jun 8, 2003.

1. seccho

Jun 7, 2003
    Newton, KS
    I had been wanting a Mesa Bass 400+, but in the interest of my finances, I've been considering some other the Mesa D-180.

Anyway, someone has asked me to make them an offer on theirs. He says that it has recently been retubed with Svetlanas, and is in good condition with some missing paint on the handles. He's also including a beat up (I think) Anvil 4 space rack case. What would a good price be? I haven't been able to find much in the way of going prices for these from internet searches.

Also, I'm wondering if these amps are powerful enough for my needs? These amps are only going to pump out between 150-180 Watts. Is that enough to adequately power a 1000W 8 ohm Avatar 2X12 in a hard rock situation? I will also probably want to add another cab of some type come the fall. I don't want to regret the purchase later and wish I had just bought a Bass 400+.

Any help or suggestions welcome.
  2. seccho

Jun 7, 2003
    Newton, KS
    Oh, and one other quick question. The D-180 doesn't have the self-biasing feature of the Bass 400+ does it?
  3. slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    The D-180 has a fixed bias also, just like the 400+. The jury is out on wether this is a blessing or curse.

A fair price would seem to be around $450-$600. I paid only $350 for mine. It is totally mint, with original 20 year old tubes. Still sounds great. I sent you a private email about the D-180. You should have it by the time you read this.