1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa D-800+ for DB? Doubling?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by gruvola, Nov 21, 2017.

1. gruvola

gruvola

Aug 31, 2011
    Curious if anyone has tried D-800+ for DB. I spotted a post where they bypassed the preamp with a Radial PZ-pre and into the effects return of the D-800 and had success, but I wanted to know if the D-800+ sounded acceptable for upright "as is".

My gear: Upton Std Lam. with full circle and K&K pre, cabinets are a pair of Schroeder 12PL. Also a number of EB's, 4 and 5 string with and without frets (gotta have one of each type, right?)
    Music: Blues and "MTV unplugged" sort of stuff for the upright. But I play EB with a way too loud drummer in a classic rock band and would like to use head for either.

To be honest, I'm not playing jazz solo's on upright, I'm a hack on DB. A little "color" to the sound is OK for what we're doing. Just curious if anyone tried it and if the semi-parametric mids were adequate to keep feedback at bay for low volume to medium volume gigs. Using a Walkabout right now which sounds great on EB but is a little too "gritty" (?) for DB IMO.

Mesa support was very nice but didn't have experience with DB.

2. mattdaveallen

mattdaveallen

Aug 29, 2017
    Ive got a D800+ and a subway 112 cab. For an upright Ive got an early 1950's german bass (gerhardt Reinel) and an underwood pickup. I have not played through very many different amps, and to be fair, I have only plugged my upright in a couple times in my living room, but to my ears the subway sounds great. The HPF is great and with not too much tweaking you can get a nice full tone.
    I intend on buying some other pre-amp to use for doubling. Probably a radial PZ- but I haven't decided yet.

Ric Vice and gruvola like this.
  3. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    My solution for doubling is a tad convoluted and pricey, but I've been running a Grace Felix on top of a Mesa D800. I actually run the output of the Grace into the front of the amp, but it sounds nice in the return as well. Start with the amp 'flat,' shape each instrument on the Grace (it's a two channel pre), then use amp eq if needed to tune to the room. Switching is super fast and soundguys love it

gruvola likes this.
  4. gruvola

gruvola

Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks so much guys, very helpful! A local store has a Mesa D800 in stock so I think I'll drag my double bass down there and give it a try.

Fat bob and dukeorock like this.
  5. Ronny Watson

Ronny Watson

Apr 2, 2016
    What did you think? I'm thinking about the D-800+ too... been using an SWR Super Redhead and Baby Blue II up to now.