Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa D180 200W all tube head, fresh tubes -- feeler

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by junglebike, Aug 27, 2005.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone interested in such a beast? It's in good shape -- the older version without an EQ. A bare bones tone machine with 6L6 tubes and a Fender-style tone stack. I had the thing professionally cleaned, serviced, and re-tubed (JJ's) about 6 months ago, and it comes in a 4-space carpeted rack. Weighs less than you'd think -- under 50lbs I believe.

Let me know. Not sure I want to sell it, but I've got big tuition bills to pay and am interested in what it's worth.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Look, y'all...this is a great head.

I'd be buying it myself if I wasn't saving for a somewhat custom Benavente right now.

Those are 200 watts of Mesa tube power, so it's like at least twice that of solid state power.

Beyond that, THIS is the famous Mesa amp with CASCADING GAIN CHANNELS. Yup. That magic touch that we talk about over on the amp forum. That means one preamp channel can feed into the other, giving multiple pre-gain stages before power, leading to overdrive tone thats difficult to get in the 400/+. Not surprisingly, this is the pre-cursor to the 400/+.

Value? It's not my party, so I'm not gonna guess. These pop up on da 'bay now and then, but they're few and far between, and I personally think they're undervalued. They haven't made this for at least 20 years, so grab it while you can.

3. I had one, decided it wasn't my ideal gig rig, but I kinda wish I could have kept it. VERY loud- it's true what they say about tubes vs SS. junglebike, you don't want to trade this for a fretless Rebop 5 do you?

4. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    I am interested in it, but I don't know how much to offer.

5. I bought mine from TBer natrab for $550 shipped,IIRC. Sold it for the same. What I REALLY miss is my old Peavey Alphabass, similar piece for half the money. Lighter, too.

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Great bass amp. They usually sell between $500 and $600 depending on condition, tubes, etc.

I still have one (yeah, I used to have two), and I'm keeping it forever.