Mesa D180 -- noise problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Feb 13, 2005.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA

I recently got a Mesa D-180 tube amp, similar to the 400 and 400+. Vintage '82, no graphic EQ. I love it!

One thing I've noticed -- there is a faint static noise that accompanies notes (i.e. goes away when nothing is being played).

It seems to be heat related. The amp has a 3-position fan switch: off, low, high. If I leave the fan off, the static gets worse. When I switch the fan on, it seems to go away.

Another clue: When I first go the amp, I played a rehersal with the fan off. Notes started to cut out after the first couple of songs. I switched the fan to high and have since not had any problems.

Any ideas?

P.S. Anyone know what the toggle switch on the far left of the back of the amp does?
  2. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    You can download the manual on the Mesa website - that'll explain the switch (although from memory it's the DI ground lift).

I would suspect that the noise is simply a set of tired tubes. An amp that old bought used really needs a little TLC from a good amp tech just to clean it all up, check caps re-tube etc. to good as new. It'll be worth the outlay and you'll have a good couple of years solid truckin' safe in the knowledge that it's running smooth.
  3. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have a Bass 400, and used to have a 400+, and they both got a bit scratchy when the power tubes got worn. But, I can't recall having the power cut out. You might need to check your speaker output jacks; I replaced mine on the 400 because the old ones didn't seem to 'grab' the plug. I looked on the Mesa site for a manual for the 400 and didn't find one.