Mesa d800- some kind of magic sauce. Amp or cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bluesman88, May 12, 2019.

1. Bluesman88

Bluesman88

Nov 15, 2016
    Philadelphia
    Last night I played through the other band's bass rig with my band (we opened). It was a D800 with two subway cabs (the cabs were fetching shade of dark green- custom tolex apparently).

The rig sounded ridiculously amazing. It was clear, articulate, plenty of lows, but it was always very easy to hear without being overly loud. The rest of the band loved it too! My question is- was the magic in the head, cabs, or some sort of magic from the sound guy? Sound guy was great last night btw.

I'm in the market for a new head and the d800 is on the list. Considering the d800, aguilar th700 and ag700, genzler mg800, and maybe the rumble 800 and darkglass 900. I'm planning to take my bass and cabs and go try out everything I can tomorrow. This amp will be replacing my hartke lh1000 but I'm not replacing my cabs. They're home made tl806 cabs with delta lites, a little mid bump but with some small eq on my hartke they sound great and get very loud.

So what say you talkbass? Any recommendations for where to go try several of these amps out? I think guitar center has the rumbles, sam ash in cherry hill seems to have one or two aguilars, russo in asbury park nj has the mesa. Anybody know of any place that has more than one? I'm willing to do some travel. I took Monday off for my Birthday ;)

Thanks!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It's a combination of everything. If you are thinking of using single driver cabinets with Deltalites, I would recommend being very careful as the Subway has enough power to damage them if you don't use good judgement. The drivers in the Sobway cabinets are considerably more robust.

BassmanPaul and Bluesman88 like this.
  3. Bluesman88

Bluesman88

Nov 15, 2016
    Philadelphia
    I'll be using two. I've been using my lh1000 through them bridged for about a year and quite a few gigs without any issues (and pushed them pretty hard). Worst case if I blow them up I have an excuse to build some fearful cabs ;)
    I do use a compressor to keep the peaks in check and an hpf to help with mud. I'm also very careful to keep the amp volume off/ muted to avoid blowing them up while plugging cables etc in. I covered them in tweed so with my bass case they make a sexy matching luggage set lol.

Sounds like I need to go to the store with my cabs and see of the magic from last night is there. It really sounded great but I don't exactly have the cash for the amp plus subway cabs at the moment. Also they don't come in tweed :p

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Actually they do come in tweed via the custom shop.

5. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    I have the Mesa D800 and use it with a pair of Audiokinesis Changeling 1x12 cabs and the sound is just unbelievable. It’s truly a great amp.

wave rider and Bluesman88 like this.
  6. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
    D-800...the gateway drug. :D

SwitchGear, flewis and agedhorse like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021