1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa D800 with just one Subway cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McClure, Jun 13, 2018.

1. McClure

McClure

Jun 13, 2018
    I have saved enough to grab a D800 head and one cab subway cab - a 112, 210 or 115.

At the store they told me I would fry the speaker with only one cab. Is this correct? I thought that a head with 800 @ 4ohms and 400 @ 8 ohms would be fine with one 8 ohm cab with 300 watts (the 112) or 600 watts (the 210). My plan was to eventually get a second matching cab, but I thought I'd be fine with just one for now.

This would be for practice, and occasional gigs. I've been using a Fender Rumble 100. I just did an outdoor gig with it, and it seemed to keep up with the drums and guitar pretty well. I just want to upgrade to something that sounds better and is a bit louder.

Thanks for any advice!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    You will absolutely not fry anything matching a head with its intended cab. Now you just need to decide which one. For me, I would go 115 or 210, maybe from a different store.

3. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    Good Grief No! The D800 or D800+ are built to work together whether you use one Subway cab or up to 4 Subway cabs.

I wanna cover my butt here by saying unless you do stupid stuff with your gear. Mesa doesn't cover stupid in their 5 year transferable warranty. Read thru the Subway threads and you'll get all of the correct(ed) info.

@agedhorse, one of the engineers for Mesa is active here and fortunately very prudent about correcting misinformation.

I would suggest the 115. :)

4. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You will fry the speaker if you turn every gain knob fully clockwise. Your sales staff assumes you don't know how knobs work.

5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    If you can fry one 300W-rated 112 at 400W amp power, then you can fry two of them at 800W, as they will still get up to 400W each (or one 112 with any other 8 ohm cab). Either they know nothing about the gear they sell or they were trying to trick you into buying a second cab. In either case I'd prefer to buy from somewhere else.

Edit: The 115 gets lots of love here, so I'd at least try it before you settle on the 112 or the 210. Maybe you'll prefer it to either.

Frank77, mikeyjm2 and McClure like this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    1) Get the 115.
    2) Whoever gave you that information is clueless.

7. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Your salesman assumes you are an idiot.
    I choose to assume you are not.
    Fire it up, have fun, use common sense.

8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    @McClure: for some extra peace of mind, you can always engage the 2-ohm switch when you use it with the single cab - the head will deliver less juice into it (up to 200 Watts RMS I would suppose). Judging from power handling specs of the three cabs there's no need to do the above, but you always have the option to.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    First of all the Subway cabinets are all rated at ~400 watts RMS, both thermally and mechanically.

With a bit of common sense, it should be no problem.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Correct, this too is an option.

11. McClure

McClure

Jun 13, 2018
    Thanks very much!
    I did have a suspicion that the guy was either clueless or trying to get me to buy another cab. Either way, I'll go somewhere else.

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Go for the 15, I have the 12 also but have been contemplating another 15...I said go for the 15 because it will be a single cab rig, I do love the 12 too...

13. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana

This.

I would suggest the 15, also. (proud owner of two)

14. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I would go with the 15. You will not fry the speaker, if you use sensible volume and not crank the eq.

petch likes this.
  15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I gig out in a good sized place (no bass into PA) with Subway D-800 and the 15 all the time... it rocks the house!

16. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My advice is to check out these videos and see which one can you like the sound of best.

17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I’ve got both the 112 and 115. If I had to pick one, it’d be the 115.

18. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    I won't disagree with the folks suggesting the 15", but I will say I heard a friend playing his D800 through a 112 Subway cab--in a decent sized room--and it sounded killer. I'd give both a try and see what you like. TB'ers (myself included) are very quick with their opinions and you're entitled to have your own.

19. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    D800 has a 2 ohm load, so you can run a 4 and 8 ohm cab together and not fry them as long as the ratings are high enough. I have an older Mesa 115 rated 400W @ 8 ohms that I run with the D800 and as long as the gain and bass aren't cranked, it doesn't clip and it's incredibly loud.

20. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Maybe get two Subway cabs and a cheaper head like Fender's rumble 500 til later.

I haven't heard any demo's of the D800 other than clean tone and unless that's good for what music you're playing you'd have to factor in a pedal for some drive.

Can anyone confirm the D800 gets dirty?

As for what that salesman, he's a fool.