1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa D800 with just one Subway cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McClure, Jun 13, 2018 at 1:48 PM.

1. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    going with a Rumble is not a good solution. The Mesa is superior in every conceivable way.
    The D800 and 1 Mesa cab is far >>>>> than a Rumble and 2 Mesa cabs. Its not even close.

2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Whoever told you that at the store is either a moron or intentionally misleading you to sell another cab. Please let them know I think they are stupid.

petch and Munjibunga like this.
  3. Or whatever head he already has?

Sure it's a superior head but unless it puts out a sound he likes/uses then it's not worth the cost IMO.
    Also he might have a gig where one cab and a ton of power would be a bad combination. Sure wouldn't want to prove that salesman right lol.

Does that amp do dirt??

4. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I gig a D800 into a single Subway 115 pretty often and love it. I am considering either a second 115 or maybe a 210, but not because I need it, I just want it!

petch likes this.
  5. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    the 115 is only 37 lbs!.......wow that is light....my Eden is 56........get the 115 , you'll move more air

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 9:39 AM
  6. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Since you are planning on getting a second cab eventually, I'd go with the 12. For me, I have never needed more than 212s for any gig, and since weight is an issue, the 15 is extra weight I don't need to be lugging around.

P.S. You might be fine with just one 12 at smaller venues.

7. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I'll sing along with the choir: get the 15 cab.

OP, you might want to check out the Mesa Subway thread. Lotsa discussion about various combinations of cabs, and preferences when using one cab. Here's the current page: Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club

Me, I own all three of the Subway cabs. When I'm only gonna take one cab to a gig, it's the 15.

8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I have the D800+ and both the 210 and 115. My personal favorite is the 210. IMHO, it sounds fuller and deeper than the 115. Almost to the point that the 115 sounds like I would have expected the 210 to sound and vice versa. I didn’t like the 112 that much.

Charlzm and FunkHead like this.
  9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    210 FTW! Then if you need more, get a 2nd 210 and stack them vertically.

edit: I they offered a 2x12 I'd say that instead! In fact I would have bought one if they made it. Instead I went with a barefaced Supertwin.

Charlzm, Deak and Munjibunga like this.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The salesman would rather sell you two cabs than one. He's an idiot - lose him. Oh, and get the 210.

Charlzm likes this.
  11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    2a) the person is a salesperson

12. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    My small gig rig is a D800 with an Avatar 112 Neo.

I'd still love to having matching Subway cabs at one point, but I just can't justify the cost since my setup sounds fantastic as it is.

13. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2015
    It doesn’t. It’s very clean which I’m glad for because I was considering a Darkglass for some reason.

14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    A thought for ya, OP.

IME all of the Subway cabs have the native voice you'd expect, given the drivers in them. They run true to archetype, IOW. (I'm aware this is _not_ true of modern bass cabs in general--that you can anticipate their native voice from driver size.) To my ear, it's like this:

The 12 pushes mids forward, and doesn't have extreme lows. The 15 has a tight bottom and lotsa muscle in the low mid/upper bass area. The 2-10 is wide and deep on the bottom, with a ping on the upper mids.

I love 'em all, and they all have their applications. As for you choosing just one to purchase, I'd suggest considering which of those profiles above is most to your liking and gig needs.

petch likes this.
  15. bass151

bass151

Mar 10, 2012
    In the market for a new lightweight rig and the subway 800 and a pair of cabs is on my short list. Had the opportunity to use someone elses back line at a recent show D800+ and two subway 15 cabs. While they we ok, I was not blown away. It sounded good but as we were running through FOH, I couldn't really do a proper evaluation. Did not seem to have all that much volume on stage, and I'm not sure it sounded any better, or had as much output as my current 10 year old rig. What subway cabs have the most clean low end and output?

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have not used the 210 yet, but the 115 is all about clean low end and huge output. A single 115 easily outpaces my Barefaced Super Compact or GK 410, and running both 115's is just stupid loud. Literally deafening.

17. bass151

bass151

Mar 10, 2012
    Hi mmbongo, I was not able to do any know twisting, as I mentioned it was not my rig. That being said, I usually don't care for neo cabs, don't seem to have the big low end at volume, that many of the emminence cast frame basket cabs have. They seem too sterile, revealing to me.

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have definitely not found that in any Neo cabs, what Neo cabs have you tested? As a side note, most of Eminence and Faitals Neo drivers also have cast frame baskets.

19. bass151

bass151

Mar 10, 2012
    Have not tried a lot of neo cabs as no body near me stocks any. I tried (in store) a pair of Aguilar SL112's which sounded good at modest volume but not at appreciable volume levels. Also a BBC 15 cab, sounded awful and of course the 2 subway 15's I mentioned. When I mentioned cast frame emminemce, I was referring to the heavy ceramic magnet cast frame emminence. That's part of the reason I'm considering a change, I'm getting too old to carry 80 pound cabs.

20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Ceramic magnets are not responsible for low end.

Charlzm and Stumbo like this.