1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa D800+ worth extra cost over D800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rmayer, Feb 26, 2017.

1. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    As the title implies, I'm interested in the D800s. I like the D800 but would really like a tuner out. The D800+ has one. Is it worth the extra $100 for that, because the other features don't matter that much to me? Also, is it possible to run a tuner out (to a Peterson Strobo Rack) from the headphone out or DI on the back of the D800?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The headphone output is for headphones only.

You can always use the features built into your StroboRack to achieve exactly the same thing... go into the input on the tuner, then loop through from the output on the StroboRack into the D-800. You then can use a mute footswitch with the StroboRack to achieve exactly the same functionality as with the D-800+. (Ie. the tuner out feature on the D-800+ is already built into your StroboRack combined with the D-800.)

3. jjmf

jjmf Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Edmonton AB Canada
    The extra voicing options makes it worth it to me

4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Absolutely, in fact I think the extra features make it a bargain - the high quality built-in variable HPF alone makes it worth a $100 more in my mind. I bought the D-800 before the + was an option for me to consider. While I could easily afford the 800+, I've been very pleased with the 800 and appreciate its simplicity and smaller footprint.

The value play is the 800+ without question. If you can live with less flexibility and the basic voicing works for you, the D-800 is hard to beat for a small, simple powerhouse.

SpruceApple, lomo, mikeyjm2 and 2 others like this.
  5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I did a gig Fri with my D800 after having used the D800+ for all of the gigs since I got it. I really didn't miss that much. It comes down to instruments and rooms. With the D800+ I have more control if I want to tweak the mids. Beyond that, I set the HPF and forget it, don't use the effects loop or the tuner out but ymmv. Both do the job.

Al Kraft and agedhorse like this.
  6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If you have the Stroborack you can afford to pony up the extra $100 for the D-800+. You know you want to, so just do it.

(I know the real role of TB and that is to be an enabler. You're welcome.)

PWV, MobileHolmes, BassManKK and 4 others like this.
  7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    If size is more important, than the D-800 wins in that department. For some players, size is a critical feature.

Joe David likes this.
  8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I learned a simple lesson back in the 90's with my SWR SM-400S. Having a ton of flexibility to shape sound is often great in the studio, but on stage, a well voiced amp with simple controls that lets you make safe, effective changes on the fly is hard to beat.

My SWR had flexibility that couldn't be beat at the time, but unless you were an expert at manipulating those controls you could easily get your self into a big mess very quickly. Tweaking on fly with semi-parametric controls is not often as easy as making simple adjustments with a 3 or 4 well placed and musically interactive EQ/voicing controls.

There is room for both in my world, but when it comes to working on stage, I prefer simple, well chosen EQ points in a "musically integrated" tone stack. The D-800 gives me exactly that!

9. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Thanks. Come to think of it, I'll probably be needing a new bass to go with that D800+. Maybe a nice Satin series Sadowsky.

Lethgar, BassManKK and BassmusM6674 like this.
  10. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Thanks, I originally thought it would be a simpler, cleaner signal path to go directly into the amp and use a rear output for the tuner.

11. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I think I actually prefer the simpler mid controls on the D800. Although the HPF in combination with the tuner out is a big incentive.

mam1862 and Al Kraft like this.
  12. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Now we're talkin'!

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Shouldn't make any difference.

14. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I wish the difference between the D800 and D800+ was only a 100- difference and not the 400- it actually is in Europe.

GManfromOz and SiSoldier like this.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes. I sold my 800 to buy my 800+. It's worth it.

PWV likes this.
  16. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    If you have to ask TB, you aren't really interested.

17. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    It's looking like it is.

18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    The guy from incubus was doing fine with the regular D800 at bass player live ;)

taylor16, Al Kraft and agedhorse like this.
  19. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    As a mostly happy owner of the 800, that's only refusing to get an 800+ because I don't want to take a loss, I'd vote yes.

I came from Eden gear to the 800 and imo, and from the statements of a few other folks I've let use it, the 800 doesn't have enough precise tone adjustment options to make me completely happy. This is exacerbated by the fact that the way the voicing knob and the tone controls interact isn't as intuitive to me as a set of parametric tone controls.

The 800 always gives a sound that sits good in the mix but when it comes to getting exactly what you hear in your head, it sometimes is lacking.

So. Yeah 800+ all the way. It has all of the tone shaping options you really need to dial in the sounds you want.

Unless you want to pay a premium for my 800 that was played at luxurious venues like the Crazy Girls strip club off of Sunset. Then I'd have to vote 800!!!

jjmf, BassManKK and mpdd like this.
  20. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Why are you asking us?

Is it worth the extra $100 to YOU? That's really all that matters.