1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa D800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ithump4, Feb 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ithump4

ithump4

Sep 6, 2008
    Alabama
    First of all, hope thus is the right place for this (thread) question(s). A little info. about myself and music (band). I play in mostly VFW type places so you can guess the type of stuff we. Yes, it's the old classic country and rock type music as our crowd is of the older generation. No slapping or popping going on here. Not a ton of money made as I'm sure you have guessed but steady (Friday night) work. Question: I want to up grade my rig and am considering the Mesa 800D Subway head with the matching 15 Subway cab. usually have 60-90 guests on any given (gig) night. Currently playing through a Fender BXR 200 combo. Would this be over kill or well worth the money ? Note: we don't use PA support just our amps. Only thing mic'ed is the bass drum. Thanks for reading and all the inputs.

2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Overkill? Nope. I'd say a big upgrades in tone and volume but only your hairdresser knows for sure.

Mesa...you're soaking in it!

Al Kraft, 99Z3, lomo and 3 others like this.
  3. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    That would be a Nice Rig for what your doing..and its light weight..:thumbsup:

4. The D800 and Subway 15 is awesome. A D800 and a Subway 112 and 115 stack kills!

doomwarwick likes this.
  5. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    New Jersey US
    Yes it will be fine.

6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't know Subway cabs but I play through a D800 amp and I like it, but I'd suggest if you are upgrading your combo you need to look around. I also play through an Aguilar TH500 which sounds equally good through my Bergantino cabs. There are lots of shades of great out there these days.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Definitely a great upgrade idea! It would also be usable in other bands/venues as you continue on. If it were me, I would get a bigger cab. Better to have too much than not enough. You can always reduce your volume and/or reduce the low end to make it work well for live use.

Used bass cabs - check your local craigslist and stretch your dollar.

doomwarwick likes this.
  8. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    There is a really good chance if you buy the D800/Subway115 set-up it will be your last amp purchase ever. I have the D800 head and I usually run the master around 10 o'clock, so I didn't "need" 800 watts either. But the Mesa tone is incredible. I went through five "lightweight" heads trying to get the sound I wanted. The search stopped with the D800.

I wanted a super light rig as my health is not good, and I am getting too old to lug heavy gear. So for less than $1K I have a 23# (total) rig that sounds great and has tons of tone. I didn't get the Subway cab as I went for a lighter "super cab" (17#).

waynobass and Al Kraft like this.
  9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I can attest to the D-800 satisfying your needs......cannot comment on the 15, except in the music store and it didn't really float my boat.
    I will have to try it again I guess

10. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Lots of good out there today .
    D800 is the current darling.
    For good reasons
    Stellar support
    Light weight
    Form factor
    Cutting edge engineering
    Mesa , long reputation for durability and reliability.

Oh and it sounds STUNNING

Gearhead17 and 1954bassman like this.
  11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If your current combo provides all the volume you anticipate needing, the D-800 and 15 will be a gorgeous upgrade.........only you know if it's "necessary", but I am sure it'll slap a big grin on your face while playing.

Al Kraft likes this.
  12. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I've never played the Fender you currently have, but as a happy D-800 and Subway 112 and 115 user I am pretty sure you will be impressed with the Mesa gear, especially for the type of music you're playing. If I recall, the BXR 200 has a lot of EQ options and a built-in chorus. While you won't find that on the D-800, I think you'll find the EQ and voicing options much more straight forward and intuitive so you can quickly dial in a great sound for the style of music and types of venues you described.

I've also found the D-800 to play well with non-Subway cabs (Mesa PH, Bergantino CN, GK NEO in my case). The Subway cabs also seem to be happy pairing with other heads in the event that you need or just want to mix and match downstream. I am admittedly biased towards Mesa gear, but even if I wasn't, I think the D-800 and Subway 115 combination would put a smile on almost any bass player's face who is doing your type of gigs. Good luck in your search!

1954bassman likes this.
  13. drobinsn

drobinsn Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I use my Subway 115 with a Walkabout and it has incredible tone along with plenty of volume. With the advent of the D-800 you can now pick pick used Walkabouts in the $400-$500 range. You won't be disappointed. BTW, Walkabouts only weigh 13 lbs so they are easy on your back as well.

lomo likes this.
  14. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City, KS
    All great suggestions so far. You will LOVE the Subway D-800, it's likely all the bass amp you will ever need, ever.

When I got my Subway, I already had a pair of Mesa Powerhouse 1x15 cabinets that I bought used. The pair cost me less than one Subway 1x15 and both were in near-new condition. Aside from an outdoor festival or huge indoor room gig, just one of these cabs is plenty.

But if your budget permits, the Subway 1x15 is the obvious choice for you as it was designed to be used with the Subway head and is substantially lighter than the equivalent Powerhouse cabinet. BUT...if the weight isn't a problem for you, a clean PH 1x15 can be had for $300-400.

Here's my budget 1x15 setup, the D-800 is living in the head case that my Walkabout used to occupy, into a $300 second hand Powerhouse 1x15.

It KILLS.

Subway.1_zpsangdepgt.

1954bassman likes this.
  15. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    This is my current rig and it's lighter than the Walkabout Combo... 0519160929.