1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Diesel 15 EV speaker: repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The patient; and older Mesa Diesel 1x15 cab with a 300 watt 8 ohm EV speaker with an open short in the voice coil.
    Re-cone or replace?

Good recones with non-EV parts, from reputable folks, seem to run $70+ shipping.
    With EV parts, $100+, and shipping.
    Re-cones typically have a 90 day warranty.

I recently got a new Eminence KappaLite 3015 450 watt 15, with 7 year warranty for another box that sounds real good.

The Mesa was DOA, so I dunno what it sounded like, but the KappaLite rawks in that box.

So, is the EV worth the hassle of paying dang near the same amount as a new KappaLite with a 7 year warranty? Some kinda magic there I'm missing?

Just a thought: seems like I can sell the rebuildable EV on ebay for ~$50+ and re-coup half the cost of the new Eminence....

Discuss amongst yourselves...

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Whatever you do be sure you leave the EV in that box. I had one of those boxes and tried many different drivers in it, none sounded as good as the EV.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    So you're saying "recone."

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I'd recommend trying your Kappalite from the other cab in the Mesa box before you decide. Or do you mean you've already tried this? If you choose to recone, be certain it's done with EV parts.

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yessir, the Kappa is in the Mesa box right now, and it works out real well...
    But having not heard the EV, just thought I'd ask, ya know?
    Maybe it's got mojo worth payin' extree for.

6. Hi, Chef.

FWIW I wouldn't put too much weight on a warranty with speakers as it naturally covers only the materials and workmanship. I have used 40 year + speakers with no problems or faults as long as they're used according to the spesifications.

I wouldn't even consider not to recone an old pro basket if it's in a good shape (EV, JBL etc.). While the sound and required cab dimensions of the old speakers might not be up to par for some folks, for me it's always an old cast basket pro speaker over a new stamped one. IME the original/reconed will usually outlast any "modern" replacement that cost roughly 1/2 or less. Only when the replacement is chosen from the same price and performance range, accurate comparisons can be made.

So I'd say recone.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    As you know, I replaced the EV in my TL606 cab with the Kappalite 3015LF. The cab lost ~20 pounds, sounds much better for my purposes, and will handle considerably more power gracefully. All of this has been confirmed on an actual gig or two, no speculation involved.

Personally, I'd recone the EV, A/B it with your 3015, and figure on selling the EV if you like the 3015 better. Or maybe throw the EV in your MM cab?

In any case, it's not a bad idea to check the cab tuning any time you replace a driver, especially if it's with a different model driver. I ended up retuning the TL606 a little, although it worked very well even before I did so. If you feel like PM'ing me the cab dimensions, I can run a few quickie WinISD sims and confuse the issue in my usual fashion.:cool:

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Charlie, thanks, and will do...