Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MESA & EDEN CAB OPINION QUESTION

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HRC Matt, Nov 30, 2004.

1. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    Okay. I currently am gigging with a Mesa BOogie 1x15 & 4x10 bass cabs. I love the tone, the low end...its awesome. One problem. The Mesa 4x10 Weighs about 100+lbs. I am 19 yrs old, and im dieing lifting this cab. I was thinking of selling the whole rig, and buying an eden 1x15 & 2x10. Do you think this would be a wise decision. I know eden is great but should i just sell the whole rig or try to find a mesa 2x10 and trade and make a profit? thanks.

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well if you like mesa boogie so much why not just get a mesa 210 and 115?
    Probobly be around the same price range? just a thought

3. Arrrrrgh

Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    I had a Eden 1x15 and 2x10 setup, and the 1x15 sucked. I am now using a 4x10 Peavey as a bottom, and it sounds much beefier than the Eden. I hate the weight of the Peavey (I am 36 years old laddie) but I still stuff it in my rig all the same. My band plays quite loud in sometimes small venues, so I dont know how that compares to your situation. I could not imagine giving up the low-end kick out of my 4x10 cabinet. The 2x10 Eden however, is a kick-ass cabinet that I would recommend to anyone.

As far as advice, if you like your tone you are getting, you need to stick with the mesa stuff and find an easier way to transport it around. You will never get close to the low end beef you have with the Eden stuff.

4. Matt: You know those round things on the bottom? They're called wheels and allow you to roll the cabinets rather than pick them up. :p

I'm totally kidding, and feel your pain.

What's your situation? Do you have stairs that you're constantly climbing? Are you taking the subway to gigs and rehearsals?

In my opinion...since I used to play that exact Mesa speaker combination, the 4x10 is lower and more powerful than the 1x15...but the 1x15 is lower and more powerful than the 2x10. You will probably miss the oomph that the 4x10 gives you.

So, do a couple of squat-thrusts, run a hundred yards, do a few push-ups every week or so, and lift with your legs.

5. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Hi,
    Currently, I use a Boogie 2x10 and 1x15 in a bi-amp config.
    IMO, the Eden cabs...tho good, are not the direction I would go to improve my tone and lighten the load.

I'm in a similar situation and will be going with BagEnd cabs in place of the Boogie's...a 2x10 and 1x18 config for my needs.

good luck!

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you go man!!
    so are you going to bi amp them as well? which cabs will you be using? the old d10-d or d10x-d, or the new d10b-d or d10bx-d? and the s18-d or the s18b-d??
    all of those cabs sound great full range too. i played thru one of the s18b-d's once, and you have sworn that there was more than just an 18 in that giant cabinet. unreal articulation.

ok, thread hijack over, carry on ;)

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10, and even though I haven't used it in some time, I just can't bring myself to sell it. From that era, the Boogie 4x10's are the best, IMHO. Actually, when I went out to buy a 4x10 (or similar cab), I was convinced that I'd end up with either an Eden or SWR, perhaps an Ampeg. But Boogie wasn't even on my radar - until I heard it! There are many players who prefer the sound of other 4x10's, say the venerable Eden 410XLT. But I just didn't care for the sound of the Eden. With that in mind, I would not think that moving from Boogie to Eden would be ideal in your situation (unless you don't like the sound of your rig and prefer the Eden sound). I have found the Boogie 4x10 and 1x15 to be fairly well balanced, very articulate cabs. With that in mind, you might actually be better off looking to the likes of EA, Accugroove, Epifani, or Bergantino. Bag End is also probably a good suggestion, but I haven't heard them, so I can't say for sure. I do know, though, that I was surprised at how similar my Boogie 4x10 sounds compared to one of my EA VL-210's.

Good luck, Tom.

8. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Hi IvanMike..thanks for the encouragement!

my intention is to remain bi-amp..
    the deep red series S18B-D and the 2x10B-D are what I'm looking at. I would love to get the oiled birch cabs if the budget would permit...which it doesn't :crying:

I had a SWR 1x18 cab loaded with a BagEnd speaker back in the late 80's....I'll never forget that tone! I kick myself for selling it.

9. ...whappo grande...

10. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

I have to admit..that 21 inch sub is appealing and would be killer for extended low range basses. Is anyone using it with a 4 string?

11. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I would at least try selling the 4x10 and find a 2x10 to replace it. That is what I used for a few years (Diesel 2x10 and 1x15) and was always happy tone wise....but it was just lacking somehow (just didn't sound powerful/strong enough). Then I stumbled across another 1x15 Diesel locally for cheap so I added it to the mix and finally have my ideal setup.....great tone that you feel as well as hear. It's worth the extra money and extra trip to your ride to either go with 2-2x10's+1-1x15 or 1-2x10+2-1x15.
    If you are happy with your general tone, don't waste the money selling your Mesa gear to get the Eden (a lateral move)......just get more transportable Mesa cabinets.