Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa factory tour

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, May 20, 2002.

1. I am down in the bay area for a few days and finally got the chance to visit the mesa factory in Petaluma. The Mesa staff were very gracious and some fellah Kevin was courteous enough to give me a personal 45 minute tour; hows that for service huh? It was so fantastic to see all the lovely Mesa bass amps all stacked up and being quality tested over and over...excellent facility. To finally put faces on people like Tien, Tim and Mike Wolf was a rare treat. They answered many questions for me too. Any company that was as attentive to a some guy just wandering in off the street as they were deserves my $$ I'd say.
    If you get the same chance go check it out. Petaluma is beautiful and Alembic is just up the road!

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    See anything interesting?

3. No...Yeah! hell yeah! It was just very cool to see all the fantastic Mesa abss amps being assembled, the Tube testing room, the cabinets being made. Much quality control...impressive. I bought three AX7's and a set of trak-lock casters. They will be helping me to mod my M-2000 graphic slider from a 50 HZ to a 30 HZ.

4. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i've got to admit, that's pretty cool mad. i live not too far away from the swr factory. i wonder if they'll do the same for my swr sm-400s? :)

steve

5. Doesn't your SM-400 have that on yer variable graphic? Where is SWR any ways? Maybe I should have gone there too!

6. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    oh, i was just kidding about the mod. swr is in sun valley, ca which is about 30 minutes north of downtown los angeles.

7. Hey...your yanking my chain ! It's not nice to make fun of celebrities y'know. You're just jealous of my special just-for-me Boogie mod!
    :p

8. One thing I was a little taken aback by was how worked over these amps are before you ever plug into one yourself. These things are man-handleled in ways i would never consider with my Boogie in order to bring out any potential flaws. They hit them, wiggle the tubes vigourously, tap them, bang on them and all while at full volume; yikes!

9. Wow... it's nice to know that someone's really doing that kind of testing. Reminds me of the retro-commercial for American Tourister luggage being tested/abused by the gorilla! :D

10. Watching some big old dude knocking and wiggeleing a preamp tube right out of it's socket while cranking the amp was pretty much akin to that Samsonite commericial for sure!

11. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    So is $799.00 worth it for a Walkabout? Considering you could get 1800 watts @4 ohms, and a good preamp for that price.

12. I have heard nothing but raves about the walkabout. For its wee size the tone is massive and deep. Mesa's gear is a little more "hands-on" IMO, not boutique but close. Based on what I've seen their attention to detail would most likley be reflected in the price.

13. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I may consider getting a Walkabout. Then a good 1x10 or 1x12 and I'll have a awsome small rig.

14. $799.99 is alot for 300watts, heck I'm only getting 150watts 'cause of my GS112's 8ohm load, but it's all about the tone. This amp is twice as versatile as the Trace Elliot I was trying to buy... and it appears to be somewhat more (versatile) than the Eden WT-400 Traveler Plus (sorry Munji). Also, you can dial in TONS of tube grind... or get a nice SS quickness than some less flexible tube pre's.

Is the WalkAbout for everyone? Certainly not, you're paying for its small size, minimal weight, versatility, and massive tone. If you want/need more power... look at something else.