1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mesa for aguilar???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Apr 20, 2006.

1. alright so i've been gasing super hard for aguilar stuff, preferably an 8x10 since they dont make a 6x10 that i know of. heres the deal though, it seem that MF still has some of those S410 for $400 bucks, and i just wanted some opnions if you guys thing i should get rid of my Mesaboogie powerhouse 2x10 and 1x15 for and get the aguilar s410. i wanted a single cab for a while now and i wanted something a little bigger then a 4x10 but hey this is a steal for $400, as this has been discuss to all end. i have an orange ad200b mk3 and play mostly harder rock music. thanks for the info, if anything else is need to help you guys help me lemme know.

thanks.
    mike

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Man I donno... If I were in your situation I'd go for no. If you were comparing it to the "regular" Aggy line 4x10, then maybe, but I doubt for the S-series.

I used to have a Boogie PH 2x10+1x15 setup and that thing would rip it up pretty well. Really wish I still had it with my M-Pulse 600, but oh well.

First thing you miss is that 15" driver being gone. 10's can sometimes thump and all, but it's not even the same ballpark... the same league... not even the same effin' sport! ;)

So I say stick with whatcha got if it makes you happy until you HEAR something that sounds better. I've done this more than once unfortunately, where something looks or seems better online, until you get it home, crack it open, and find yourself missing what you used to have...

Anyhow, my input. :)

3. I haven't heard the mesa cabs, but my S410 feels at ease when playing a low B. And that sweet tweeter (it's the same one used in the GS cabs) makes the S410 an unbelievable deal. I don't think you can go wrong.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am pretty sure the discount Aguilar will be inferior to your Mesa setup. Nothing has ever sounded better to my ears than Powerhouse cabs, at least for the prog metal that I do.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you go Aggie, get the better series. I would strongly recommend the 412 over the 810. I really liked it when I tried it, but the tone of the Bergantino 610 gave me a better tone for my needs. I didn't like the Aggie 810 a ton; it seemed oversized for what it did. But if you like it, power to you. But the S series, while a great deal, will probabally not be as good as the rig you have at the moment.

6. thanks for the info guys.

i didnt know that the s series was, i guess for lack of better terms "inferior" to the GS series and the new DB series, i just thought they were older.

7. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Well, I wouldn't go that far. Most people will tell you that the S series is "different" than the GS series, not "inferior." Lots of people have S cabs and love em!

8. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I love my S410, but I'm not sure I would get rid of Mesas for it.

9. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Why get rid of cabs that you like (I think?) for one that you haven't played? It seems like a big risk to me.

I love Aguilar gear; but granted, it's not for everyone. I'd definitely try one out, or even just getting one and A/Bing it against the Mesa rig. I just wouldn't want to see you get excited about a cab, sell all your current Mesas, and end up disliking the Aguilar.

10. thanks guys, i'm going to keep my mesas definitly. once the db810 or even 410 finally come out, i'm going to give them a try. and well see how things work from there, but until then, mesa for me.