1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa & GC - Guitar Center no longer Mesa/Boogie retailer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erodus, Jun 6, 2007.

1. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I don't know if this is months old, but I was told by a GC manager today that GC will no longer retail Mesa/Boogie. sucks.

2. Hardly

3. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Hmm, if this is true, might be time to go trolling for closeouts...

4. I saw two items at my local GC on memorial day discounted. Too bad they didn't have a scout there...:(

5. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Funny you mention that because I was in my local GC about a month ago and noticed some Mesa stuff marked down (which we all know is a no no). No one on staff seemed to know why (shocker). I guess this is why then. There was a 12" Walkabout marked down a few hundred but it was the same one I've watched countless upstarts use to learn how amps work for the last year now.

6. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    They're dropping Aguilar as well.
    They dropped the prices a month or two ago and I was shocked.
    The sales manager told me it was just a six month price drop and that I could special order one at the price up until October or so.

Jerk lied to me. I was stoked. Now I'm downright pissed.

7. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Aguilar too huh? He told you that he can order aguilar or mesa/boogie? bummer

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    are you sure that all GC's will no longer carry Mesa ? I know that Mesa imposes kind of weird territorial coverage model with dealers.

For instance; here in the beautiful SF Bay Area we have 4 GC's (pretty sure that's right) within about an hour or less of each other. Not all of them carry Mesa gear due to the way Mesa allots dealer agreements. Same with the Starving Musician stores. There are 3 (San Jose, Berkeley and Santa Cruz) but only the Santa Cruz store carries Mesa stuff new (all of the Starving stores have been known to carry used Mesa stuff from time to time).

Anyway, you may be right (I may be crazy)** but this should be confirmed. And, if they are not going to carry Mesa or Aguilar, I'd be interested in knowing why.

Inquiring minds want to know :D

** gratuitous Billy Joel quote

9. I was told by Marcus Daniel of Mesa that GC will no longer do their bass line of products. They still do guitar stuff.

10. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia

I'd like to know why also. I'll check with a couple other gc managers in the area, or even ask boogie tomorrow...

11. It's the same with musician's friend. Check their website, it has absolutely zero mesa products.

SamAsh is the same way.

12. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    How's Markbass gonna be distributed now then? Or is this Mesa's bass line of stuff, not GC dropping bass as a whole? (You can see how the news of them dropping Aggie as well can create this confusion for me)

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I believe that GC will no longer be stocking the Mesa Boogie bass products. Im not sure but I believe we will still be able to order it for customers if they request it.

Im waiting on a call back from our local Boogie rep.

14. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Ooooh so only bass products huh. Yet they will still stock mesa guitar products. that's just wrong on mesa's part.

15. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Well, that's because mesa does not allow on-line sales to begin with.

MF never carried boogie amps.

16. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I noticed that the local GC had moved out all the Mesa stuff, and Peavey stuff popped up in it's place.

17. realdeal

realdeal Inactive

Dec 10, 2004
    I'm sure that at NAMM and throughout the year, Buyers at GC make decisions as to which Mfrs. they'll stock at retail level.
    In Los Angeles, which has it's own Mesa store, only GC's several miles outside LA carried Mesa; there are of course also independent dealers.

Having relatively easy access to Mesa gear, I can understand how it would be an issue in other cities- There's a lot to like about Mesa's bass gear.

GC is probably a lot like Wal-Mart when dealing with the Mfrs.- they most likely tell them what price they want to pay based on a large volume order.
    It's good to be King!
    Maybe Mesa told them, "no thanks"- Gotta hand it to Mesa-Boogie:
    Their list price is their price; no on-line sales, no discounts- only on discontinued product.
    It's kind of refreshing not to have to worry about whether you paid a good price on an item.
    Interesting about Aguilar products- I guess you'd have to be a fly on the wall to know how these buying decisions are made- I've noticed an influx of new Peavey and Trace-Elliot gear at my local GC- not a bad thing actually- (The newer TE rigs are 'way cool!):D

18. huh... my GC has 3 big block 750 stacks on the floor... maybe they'll drop the prices so I can grab a 4x10 :)

19. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    time to go shoppin :)

20. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Looks like there's only going to be one place in all of D/FW, TX to get a mesa bass deal now.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021