Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa + Gramma pad = yuck

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humblerumble, May 26, 2004.

1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I got my new gramma pad Monday evening and had my first jam with it last night. Yuck. I guess the downward firing radiator on the Scout was downward firing right into the gramma which then did it's job and killed the sound :( I pulled it off the gramma and it came to life. I put one of our guitarists amps on the gramma and it really projected so it would probably be great on another amp but it was a big dissapointment on the Mesa. On the positive note the guitarist had his new Incase Tour bag and it was awesome! That will be my next purchase...anybody won't to buy a "like new" gramma pad :)

2. PM sent.
    robb.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Could you elaborate on what "kills the sound" means? I've got some downstairs neighbors who don't appreciate the power of music, so maybe one of those GrandMa pads could be useful for my Walkabout.

4. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    It takes out all the thump that you get with the scout. I mean I could still hear it fine but it lost all its presence. It may do exactly what you want. I took it off the gramma after about an hour or two of jammin and one of the guitarists asked me if I had cranked up the volume because he thought it was a lot louder. It still had the definition when I played but without the punch.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well of course!

That amp was designed to couple with the floor. It even had a downward firing cone!

Why would you want to seperate an amp designed to work fith the floor from the floor?!

Peace
    Nick

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Mainly cause I was being a bit stupid at the time :confused: I figured that would be the result but I have heard so many good things about Gramma that I was curious to give it a try.

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yeah the passive radiator on the bottom of the Scout gives an impression of more low end. As you found taking that away makes it sound not as bassy.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its a great product from what Ive heard, but not something Id want to try with that setup.

Peace
    Nick