Mesa Heads. Which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jul 14, 2001.

1. M-Pulse 600

14 vote(s)
  2. Bass 400+

52 vote(s)
  3. Basis M2000

18 vote(s)
  1. I got offered a computer teaching job so i can make some quick many and good money. So i decided that to go around with the mesa cab i wanna get, instead of getting the Fender Bassman 400, i'm gonna get a Mesa head right now. So which should i get, and consider the prices. I'm lookin at the

1. M-Pulse 600
    2. Bass 400+
    3. Basis M2000

which should i get and why? Btw, i play progressive rock. Thanks.
  2. the 400+ is all tube. Do you wanna deal with the weight of a 100lbs head, and have to shell out about $100+ on retubeing? if your able and willing... enjoy your nice tube sound.

The m-2000 is both ss and tube. You have the ablity to use either, or mix the signal. I saw one at GC, confused the hell out of me.

i dont know anything about the new mesa head, but i know its a hybrid.

I know the 400+ is about $1,500, i think the m-2000 is $2,000 and dont know a thing about the new one.
  3. I agree with Muttluk here, if you don't mind retubing, then I say go for the 400+
  4. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Another conditional vote for the 400+
  5. I see two votes fof the 400+,yet the poll results don't show it...I vote for the m-pulse 600.if you're a plug and play guy like me, this is your amp.less intimadating than the 2000,less weight than the 400+ and less of a hassle with re-tubing and all(not that the other 2 heads don't kick ass)and all the power.I speak from experience..I own a rd.rdy 2x15 and a rd.rdy 2x10 and I love them, but my back don't,so a light weight two rack space head is a wonderful thing.and the sound is all BOGGIE.I'm sure you did a little research on this amp so I won't go into details but this head kicks major ass and it would be a great match for your 4x10..if you have any questions you can e mail me.BTW I did a reveiw on harmony central and when I have time I'll write one here too....later
  6. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Well, Gard and I went Mesa/Boogie shopping on Saturday after work. We tried the M-Pulse 600 and the M-2000 with Mesa's new powerhouse cabs. We both personally liked the M-2000 much more than the M-Pulse. The M-pulse was very "strident" (Gard's words) and I say very harsh. It seemed very hollow; no warmth at all. Of course, we didn't fiddle with the parametric EQ, but you shouldn't have to get a good sound. EQ is there to make the sound better or reduce boom, whathave you.

The M-2000 on the other hand, was very warm, punchy and solid sounding. We had fun fiddling with all the controls and going back from Tube to SS channel. The SS channel was squeaky clean, and when combined with Overdriven tube channel, it gave a wonderful grit and warmth. I really like the M-2000 and I do believe its worth the 400 dollars more than the M-pulse. However, I don't believe its worth 1600-2000 bucks :)

Also, the M-2000 had a much better bottom; it was more controlled and round.

If you're wondering which basses we were using to conduct these tests, I was using my Zon Sonus 5 and he was using his Zon Sonus Special 5.

All in all, if you want warmth and the ultimate versatility...go for the M-2000.
  7. I've never expereinced the "harshness" that dirty road cola speaks of,in fact I thought the solid state side of the m-2000 was "harsh" or sterile as I call it and could not justify paying the extra money for a pre-amp that I would'nt far as the tube side goes I thought it was very similar in sound and I liked the compressor better.I'm using this amp with a genisis(modulus)5,maybe the bass is just a warmer sounding instrument with the woods used in construction(or maybe it's just me)...but don't take my or anyone else's word for it,let YOUR ears be the judge....
  8. Well so i know, if i get the 400+, how often will i have to retube it. Obviously there is no set quantity of time, but approximately how often would i have to retube it?
  9. If you're playing ten hours a week or more, you might expect to replace the power tubes every two years or so. If you play less, they could last five years or more. Re-tubing this beast isn't as expensive as you might think. Mesa amps are fixed bias, so if you get tubes in the pre-set bias range, all you have to do is pull the old ones out and pop the new ones in. You can get them from Mesa, which will cost you over $200, or you can get a set of 5881's from Lord Valve for $138.00.

Preamp tubes should rarely, if ever, need replacing. Maybe once every ten years just to keep that new sound.
  10. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I say 400+ all the way.
    And Matt brings up a VERY good point - retubing is not going to cost you the thousands of dollars everyone makes it sound like it costs to re-tube. Get ahold of Lord Valve. He'll sell you the 5881's like Matt said or a set of Svets (much better than mesa's junk chinese tubes) for $210...
  11. Now i've read two different things. One is that the 400+ uses 5881, and the other that it uses 12 6L6 and 4 12AX7 tubes. If they are the or what, i don't know. If i get the 400+, it'll basically be my frist real tube amp.
  12. 5881's and 6l6's are interchangable. The amp comes stocks with 6l6's. 5881's might take away a little bit of headroom, but they're cheaper, and on a 500 watt tube amp, extended headroom is not really a big concern. The 12AX7's are the preamp/driver tubes.
  13. Amen. I just replaced the Chinese tubes in my Buster with a set of Svetlana's, and it sounds 100 times better.
  14. now the preamp tubes are the ones you change like 2-3 times a year, that being the 12AX7 and the power tubes are the ones like the 6L6 or 5881 that you change about every year and half, right? Also, i assume that when you change the tubes, you have to change all of them and not just like one of them or so, right?
  15. um... where did you get these numbers from? Its about 5-10 years before you have to change the 12ax7's one time (this is the preamp) . Its about 1-2 years before you have to change the power tubes (6l6 or 5881). And yes, its best to change all tubes at the same time.
  16. I got the numbers from the Mesa website. So don't start yellin at me about what they wrote.
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Obviously, this is not what you stated above where you said "change like 2-3 times a year." Go back and re-read what you posted. Details are important, especially when you're asking others to spend time giving you advice.
  18. woops, my bad, well, at least i meant to say once every 2-3 years.
  19. For Mesa, tube heads are the amps that keep on giving... money in their bank accounts. They want to make more money from you. Of course they're going to recommend replacing all the tubes rather often. It's like the oil companies telling you to change your oil every three thousand miles, even though most mecahnics will say five to six thousand. There are a lot of profesional musicians out there right now playing through amps with thirty and forty year old preamp tubes.

Think of it this way - tubes are like shoes. If you don't wear them often, do you need a new pair every six months? No, but if you run track every day through the mud, you might need them every three months.

If you're retubing because your power tubes are old and your power has dimished, you should replace them all. If one or two tubes blow while you're playing, just replace the defective ones. You should always try to keep at least two spare power tubes and one spare preamp tube in your gear bag.

Tube amps take some getting used to if all you've ever played are solid state, but it's worth it.

One more piece if advice - never turn on a tube amp unless it's connected to a speaker or load of some type. You could fry your output transformer.