1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quap, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Quap

Quap

Oct 14, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Looking at the D800+ and the WD 800 for my new head. Also, working on chemo for lymphoma and my brain feels broken. Can someone explain like I’m 5 what the differences are between the two?

2. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    The WD800 has a tube preamp, The D800 doesn't.

3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The D-800+ is an all solid state head that has a bit of tube warmth, but is voiced a little closer to the Mesa Carbines in terms of being very quick and clear sounding. The WD-800 has a tube preamp/SS power section and was designed to be a modern, high powered take on the Mesa Walkabout. The notes are a bit warmer and rounder sounding while still having good clarity.

The WD-800 offers the user controls to create more tone shaping choices on their own. The D-800 has deep and bright switches along with a voicing control that offer excellent tone shaping effects, but not the same degree you have with the WD-800.

If you liked the old Walkabout, but wished it was brighter and could stay focused tone-wise at high volume, the WD-800 may be your front runner. If you liked the Carbines, but wished they were not so in your face up top, better controlled in the deep bass and a bit warmer overall, the D-800+ is might be your best place to look.