1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Just Killed the M6, M9, And Walkabout amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbddlr, May 13, 2017.

1. dbddlr

dbddlr Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Northwest Arkansas
    I appreciate the weight savings that micro heads give but come on! These were some of the best new amps to come out in the last 15yrs. I love my M6, and own several micro heads and they have their place but they are not able to replace the thick power of the M6. Just a shame....I guess the days of tube hybrid heads are numbered. Why does Mesa feel the need to kill off such a great product?

MESA/Boogie®

hombass, CincyBassMan, svtb15 and 4 others like this.
  2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

That means there's probably more, better amps on the way if it's true. Money talks and BS walks...about.

ICM, smcgov, Ampslut and 17 others like this.
  3. Because they are a business.

4. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    How else does one get people to spend their money on items they do not need?

Mili, Ampslut, seang15 and 7 others like this.
  5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yup. You want an A/B head? Buy one used - HERE on TB!!!

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

5544, I understand what your saying about manufacturers needing to come up with new products to make sales, but, anyone wanting to send me for free their unneeded M-6 to go with the two I've already got drop me a P.M.!!!!

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    dbddlr likes this.
  7. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    It's not like they're going to come round your house and take your amp off you.

jmattis, PWV, 5544 and 13 others like this.
  8. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Mesa is a good company, with good people that have good ideas. Have faith that whatever they discontinued is worse than what they will be releasing.

Tbone76, Bioflava, Stumbo and 8 others like this.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I see it.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So either they're coming out with a new, improved product or the Subway 800/800+ killed sales of the Walkabouts. Maybe.

Bioflava, lomo, SirMjac28 and 2 others like this.
  11. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm sure there were a bunch of suits in the board room one day recently and one of them spoke up.

"We need to stop production on our best products immediately as part of our new profit reduction initiative. I want the list on my desk by monday."

Charlzm, webmonster, svtb15 and 6 others like this.
  12. I am just glad a got my Walkabout when I did then. Couldn't imagine a better amp.

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Nobody buys class A/B amps anymore, at all. Those who don't mind carrying go with tubes, others want class D.

Stumbo, Burwabit and orange joe like this.
  14. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

They probably weren't selling that well.

fretlessguy, Stumbo, mpdd and 7 others like this.
  15. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I like this amp so much I own two of them (read and black face). I'm yet to pull the trigger on the Subway because I am that satisfied.

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  16. My 500 watt class AB amplifier head only weighs a little over 6lbs. You don't have to go class D to save weight. I don't suppose people care less what amplifier topology they use if it's convenient and sounds how they like it.

jnewmark, Afc70, boamedt and 3 others like this.
  17. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    Not sure about that

svtb15 and shoot-r like this.
  18. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    Well I'm glad I never sold my m9 now

Jim Carr and ZmeBass76 like this.
  19. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

Maybe the next in the Subway series....the "Subway M-6 Carbine" and the "Subway Walkabout?"
    Subway sized, class d heads voiced with the characteristics of the M-6 Carbine and the Walkabout!

I can hope....

But, I think your right about the 800 and 800+ taking over Mesa's bass amp sales.
    I know of atleast two music stores that have M-6's setting in inventory while 800's come in and back out almost as fast as they arrive.

But in all honesty, I think a lot of 800 sales maybe the fact you can buy a Mesa 800 bass head and the quality that comes with owning a Mesa product at roughfully half the price of a Carbine or Walkabout.

Talking weight, size, and price, of course the 800's win.

Taking the sound difference between the two types of heads into consideration, I and my ears would still spend the extra dollars and carry the extra weight for the M-6's feel of fast, clear and powerful....till/when a Mesa micro can cop those traits....then maybeeeeeee!

Novarocker and Jason Hollar like this.
  20. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Head on over to the Walkabout thread to learn that 1) Discontinued does not equal unavailable. 2) New inventory currently exists. 3) Future inventory exists "in the pipeline." 4) Healthy demand keeps products in production. 5) Lack of demand causes product discontinuance. 6) For those on the fence regarding new, warrantied purchase, now is the time. 7) Gotta' have it past discontinuance? Buy it used. Mesa will honor warranties and continue to support non-warranty repair.

Stumbo, Jim Carr, lomo and 8 others like this.