1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa m-180 poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Oct 21, 2006.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone played through one of these?
    Is it good for bass?
    I already have a nice preamp (EBS Microbass 2) and a tube poweramp would be sweet.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bump
    This looks like the poweramp from the Mesa d-180. Has anyone got any comments on that amp?

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Should be pretty sweet. If you can get one, go for it. Valve power amps for bass are pretty hard to come by.

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The D-180 is an awesome bass amp, just not loud enough for me in my loud metal band. It is great for recording though....most of the great parts of the D-180 have to do with the preamp though, so the power amp by itself might just be a really nice sounding but not very loud extension of your preamp- it may be loud enough for some types of music, and I guarantee that it is a quality amp- they were made during Mesa-Boogies best era in my opinion- it just may not be enough power for you (unless you like brutal power tube overdrive all the time!)
    Karl

5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you play guitar, this may be the best tube power amp you can find- I play both, and the D-180 is the best guitar amp I have ever played through...

6. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    I have a Mesa M-180 teamed up with an Ampeg SVPCL. It is IMO an excellent power amp for bass. It should be quite OK with an EBS MicroBass II in terms of preamp output level and power amp input sensitivity.

I have a matched Sovtek KT88 sextet in the power section. I've also modified and adjusted the bias circuitry. The M-180 was designed for 6550 power tubes according to old Mesa brochures, so that basically fueled the urge to go ahead with the power tube swap. It probably puts out about 200 W, but I'm planning to do power vs. distortion vs. frequency response measurements in the near future.

I recommend getting one if you can find one. They're quite rare and for some reason they seem to be quite cheap considering that they're 200 W all-tube Mesa power amps...

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I find it interesting that it uses a sextet of 6550s, yet puts out only around 200 watts.

8. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    The limiting factor is the plate voltage, which is only about 510 V.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020