Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa M-2000 used, is it right for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRB, Mar 6, 2004.

1. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi everyone thank you a head of time for you imput.
    I have a GK400RB head, 2 aguilar 112 cabs and a Hotwire big apple 5 bass. I like the sound I am getting very much and I like the attack and punchy raw clean tone that I am getting, but my GK400 does not have enough head room. I have a friend who will sell me his Mesa M-2000 head, only used on 10 or so gigs and on 9 months old for $800. I am a little turned off by all the options and don't know how I feel about owning a tube amp and needing to deal with replacing the tubes and all that.

I guess my question is, bassed on the tone the I want to get crisp, punchy, raw and clean tone I am trying to get is this a good head for me? Is it a good deal? What else shoud I look at? (I am thinking about staying with GK and going with the GK1001 or going for a seperate pre and power amp) Thanks for the info.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey man....if you pass on that deal, let me know. I am looking for that exact head.

Is the head good for you, for what you want? Yep!
    Is it a good deal? Yep!
    What else? In that price range, pick almost anything you want. You'll for sure be happy with the GK1001. Check out a Mesa 400+. Anything from EA will satisfy your needs. Many people are happy with their Ashdown's as well.

-Mike

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    That's a good price on the amp. If you're willing to learn the controls you will love it. I find that the FET channel sound incredibly clean and hi-fi and I use it all the time.

By the way, the M-2000 is not strictly a tube amp. It is a solid state powered amp with both a tube preamp and a solid state preamp. This means you have no big expensive power tubes to replace every few years.

It offers such a variety of sounds I can't even begin to explain all it's uses. I am in three bands all with incredibly different sounds and I use all three channel options with all three bands (I have my tube channel set to a warm tubey sound, the mix channel set to hi-gain old school distortion, and my FET channel set to a mid scoop for a real hi-fi tone).

I bought mine for $700 used with a non-working foot pedal (which I managed to repair myself) and some pretty big scratches on the top from having the pedal shoved in the gig bag. I think it's about 4 years old. The reason I trust it is because it had gone 4 years without ever needing repair (in fact the guy said the footpedal had never worked - I verified as the jack had been soldered all wrong).

This thing is a beast. When I first took it home I got pretty skeptical as I couldn't get the sound I wanted out of it. Then I downloaded the manual off the Mesa site and dialed in their suggested settings. After a few hours of tweaking I ended up with 3 incredible tones that now I can't live without.

I say go for it :D

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Like in any other m2000 thread, I agree with him :D

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I agree with Smash. If the M-2000 sounds anything like my M-Pulse 600 it's no where similar to the sound of the GK. I purchased the Mesa specifically for that hugh warm punchy sound that you can only get from a tube type amp. If you want the modern Hi-Fi sound you'll have to stay with a GK, EA or SWR head. You may want to play a gig or two with the M-2000 prior to purchasing the amp. I will say this though, somebody will sure be happy about purchasing that Mesa M-2000! :hyper:

6. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the help everyone. I thought that the Mesa's power amp had one tube in it and then used a solid state as well? Is that true? Thanks again, I have to make up my mind by tonight so I think I am going to go to a store and play on some other heads today.

Peace

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    $800 for a great-looking amp ain't bad. I believe it has three 12AX7's in the pre-amp, but the power is FET. Having three stages of tube pre could hypothetically give you more crunch than, say, an Eden WT-series, but my experience with the Mesa has been disappointing. I can't find any tone in there at all. Wonder why they quit making it.

Anyway, it's a great-looking amp, invoking hope and optimism for great things to happen. This, only to have your hopes and dreams dashed like a crystal globe cast from the top of a volcanic precipice on the island of Maui.

Basis M-2000

"The M-2000 is easily one of the most versatile heads we've ever reviewed..." Scott Malandrone Bass Player July/Aug 1995 "...what can't you do with the M-2000? Just about any tone you could possibly want is in there."

LIAR!

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There are two 12ax7's in the pre amp section, and another feeding the mosfest in the power section I believe. I like mine, but it's not for everybody (especially Munji).

I can get the tones I am looking for in this amp, but some people have a harder time finding it in there. Some people are tweakers, and some people are knob-o-phobes, and that's ok. I am a tweaker myself.

By the way, this amp was in production for over 10 years. I would consider that a pretty successful run.

9. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    BTW, as I mentioned before. It DOES have a solid state pre-amp as well as the tube. I think it can do the ultra clean hi-fi tone quite well.

10. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    If you do not Purchase it, then Please let Me know... I want to Purchase a 2nd M-2000 for my RIG..

11. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    9 months is about right when they stopped selling them completely.. I bought mine about 1 year ago and saw it on the website a couple months after that..

Oh yeah, If you purchase it, then please make sure you get a warranty card or some sort of Original Receipt..The M-2000 will have a 5 year warranty with it!!!

12. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for all the info, I have decided to go for it. Afterall, if it does not work out I should be about to sell it for about the same. Anyway, I think I am going to be really happy with it once I work out the right settings for me. Thanks again for everyones help, this has been a big choice for me because I work for a non profit and don't make very much money so all my bass stuff (which is all I really I spend money on) has to be the right.

13. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I believe You will see that you have made the right choice.. Do not get frustrated with the Options you have because it is alot..

Look at it as a good thing, since you do not make loads of cash(just like me), then you want a very Versatile amp.. The sounds you can get out of the M-2000 are plentiful. From the preamp(s) to the compressor to the Send/Return, you will see that this amp can do alot!! ENJOY..

and if for some reason you want to sell, then please remember me.. IM SERIOUS!!

14. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Word to the wise! Check all connections and make sure you do not get any noise with any connection or EQ..

If you get any Noise then contact Mesa/Boogie and use the warranty to its full advantage!!

OK, im done talking my head off.