Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa M pulse 360 vs eden world tour 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottlefight, May 14, 2003.

1. bottlefight

bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    MI
    Im having trouble deciding which one i want. Im leaning toward the mesa but i have to wait till mid june for mesa to make one. Its been hell trying to find the 360 anywhere. The eden sounded great but i dot know if i want to wait or not.

2. WAIT!!!

I chose my 360 vs. the world tour 800, and I couldn't be happier. Even though it's less power than the eden, it sounds louder to my ears, and it's not a midrangey sound, it's a deeper, and fatter sound.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    If you want mid range, go for the Eden...if you want an overall good tone, go for the M-Pulse...man, that thing can play...any tone you want, it's there man!

4. I just made a similar decision. WT-400 vs. Walkabout

Tone is such a subjective thing choose what sounds good to your ears. I bought both amps (used) and tried both about a month each and kept the Mesa. Just a bigger, fatter tone IMHO.

Where's Munji?

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Munji can't say nuttin...Mesa rocks, and Eden doesn't have it goin' on!

(Just kidding Munji...)

I know lots of guys who get killer results with the Eden line of amps...but it's just not for some people, I guess it's an aquired taste...:D

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let's see ... I'd go with uhhhh ... Eden. I don't know what all this mid-talk is. While others (such as Mesa), make a fine product, Eden's superb EQ section sets it above other amps. If you want less mid, you can cut mid at pretty much any frequency you desire.

That said, I wouldn't buy a WT-400.

I'd buy a WT-550.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Why a WT 550 and not an M-Pulse 360 or 600? I even got a better tone out of the Walkabout!

I'd wait, and try both together, and then see which one you want. I'd play some SWR, Ampeg, and other brands that were available in the mean time. How do you know you like the Mesa stuff, have you tried it yet?

Patience Grasshopper, is the key to putting together a killer rig!

:bassist:

8. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I got my WT-400 the other day, and it actually makes my cabs sound deeper. Plus the EQ is phenomenal.

I have no experience with the mesa though.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I like the sound of the Eden heads, and their EQ section is quite nice.

However, I like the tone of my Walkabout better, and to me, the EQ on the Walkabout is just as versatile, if not easier to dial in various tones.

I'd go with the M-Pulse 360, or even the Walkabout (which is much louder than its 300w rating would have you believe). Still, either unit is going to be an excellent piece of gear that should serve you well.

Tom.

10. bottlefight

bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    MI
    Thanx for the adivce i think i will wait. It will be a long month

11. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    The Mesa is way more versitle and better sounding IMHO.

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'd like to weigh back in on this. Yesterday, I was at GC, and I played a Mesa M-Pulse 360 through one of the Mesa 610 cabs. The bass was a Pedulla ThunderBolt 5. I could not for the life of me find a good hi-fi tone out of that rig, no matter how hard I EQ'd it. The highs were just absent, and the bottom was middling, at best. I'm going to retract some of my previous generosity regarding the Mesa stuff, and revert to "It sucked to my ear."

13. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Well of course you wouldn't like it if you're used to an Eden set-up, they're completely different amps. Everyone's ear is different. None of us is going to like the same set-up as the next guy. Everyone needs to play what they like and stop squabbling over gear, its pointless.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I was responding primarily to this post, which I would characterize as disingenuous, at best. His assessment of Eden's tone betrays an ignorance of what Eden is known for, and his characterization of the M-Pulse's capabilities is a brash overstatement.

15. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    i've currently got a Mesa 400+,but i'm toying with the idea of getting an eden WT-550 as an alternate;maybe in a year or so...
    i have specific ideas for the Eden with a BG S15-B,and a fretless;this would be a rig for my personal indulgence.

16. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Allow me to clarify then Munji...

Each and everytime I'm convinced to try out the Eden stuff, I'm disappointed. I find the tone "honky", not Hi-Fi at all. Some people like that sound, others, like myself don't.

I love the sound of SWR, and even Ampeg is pretty sweet...the Mesa stuff blew me away. I'm less than impressed with the Eden gear...as another great savvy player in this thread has said of other gear..."It sucked to my ear."

Just my opinion/taste...but Stingray is right as well...we're all going to champion our favorite gear, so what's the point?

bottlefight is waiting, he'll play the gear when it comes in, and if he doesn't like it, then he'll try something else until he finds something he does like. Right?

:D