Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa M-Pulse 600 praise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, May 12, 2005.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Just recently started using an M-Pulse 600. I must say that now that I have it dialed in to my liking I am seriously digging it. I am playing it through an Ampeg SVT-410HLF right now and it sounds pretty darn good.

The sound is very organic to my ears. Im using a P-Bass with an Aguilar preamp installed and I mainly keep it on passive mode for the most part. It seems as if the 5-band EQ can take me from an old school heavy mid sound to a hi-fi sound all with a few twists of the knobs.

Im actually using the solo feature as a 'mute' by turning down the solo knob all the way on the amp and clicking the footswitch when I need to tune. Works pretty well.

Anyway, anyone considering an M-Pulse 600 should check it out. And all the people that have given this amp praise in the past were exactly right! :hyper:

2. Congrats on your purchase. I like the fact that you listed your bass and how you EQ it with your review. I had an MPulse for a while and it wasn't my thing. However, I play a very modern, very active Jazz Bass type instrument with very bright round wound strings. The MPulse (IMO) is not a good match for that sound and my more 'funk' oriented playing style (again, IMO). I really need that quick transistor preamp transient response and more aggressive treble response.

I really liked the quality of the MPulse... the great feeling pots, the real metal switches, etc. The limiter is really nice too. It's also the most 'tube' sounding hybrid amp I've ever played out of (which is why it didn't fit my personal style. Anyway, I bet it's just the bomb with that PBass! Have fun with it! :hyper:

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks Jung!

Yeah this amp really is tempting me to try out some flatwounds on my P-Bass for grins. The low end is huge!

Im playing in kind of a loud souther rock/folk band right now so it fits perfectly.

We are busy recording a CD right now. This amp should be on 3 of the tracks (that havent been recorded yet) if anyone is interested in hearing them when they are done.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I recently got rid of an M-Pulse 600 for similar reasons. It just wasn't me. Very well-built piece of gear though, no doubt about that.

5. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I had a 600 for a while and loved it- "Organic" is a good description for how it sounded. I've since moved to ashdown but if I could afford it I'd have one of the m-pulse series back in the stable for me to play with occasionally....

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hi Ian. I['m curious since I have an Ashdown ABM500 which I love. I continue to try other amps and in comparison, I still like best. That said, I picked up a Mesa Walkabout that I really like. I was thinking the MPulse would be more powerful and a bit more versatile.

Which Ashdown amp are you using? With what cabinet and what kind of bass?

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I hate reading these "praise" threads. It always gives me GAS. :meh:

8. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I'm using a MAG 300 C210T combo amp that I just got a few weeks ago... and I'm happy as a clam even though it is one of their overseas cheapies. I wish that the GF would let me get an ABM. I had so much better gear when I was single:)

I'm playing a custom built(by me) warwick looking jazz... I have some dimarzio Model J's in it. It has a spalted korina body and wenge neck with indian rosewood FB.

Just so you know, this was my last rig and I say that this little combo and my homebuilt/cheap combo sounds better(not louder though) to me:

Warwick Thumb 5 BO
    Ampeg SVT-4PRO
    Ampeg 810E

My band broke up and I needed cash... made a little over $2500 minus ebay fees and all on that rig. I'm happy now, and have a new tone, although it's pricetag is a little smaller. Proves that money isn't everything, assembling a rig whose pieces compliment each other is much more important than their individual cost.

The rig I was using before the ampeg was a m-pulse 600 and powerhouse 1000. It was awesome but it was so smooth and buttery that it got killed by my guitarist's overloud triple rec. I miss that mesa rig. I had to switch to the killer SVT just to be heard at all :(

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I <3 my M-Pulse!

10. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    huh?

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

Means I love my M-Pulse 600. I thought I'd try and say it the "cool" way :).