Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa M-Pulse 600 tubes.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by karrot-x, Aug 22, 2005.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I know my tubes are 12AX7 but what should I replace them with? Is there something that might sound "better?" If not, I know that was highly subjective but, what is the brand that I should replace them with?

2. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Id like to know that as well.

My m-pulse is still new. New in the sense that i havent had it long enough to tinker with it.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I went through a similar process when I swapped tubes in my Walkabout. Here is a blurb from my blog regarding that adventure:

I have since then picked up a bunch of other tubes (bot new and NOS). I haven't even begun to try them all out, but another early front runner is the NOS GE Black Plate 5-Star 5751.

Hope this helps, Tom.

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Thanks a lot, that does help :). Would you recommend two Telefunken tubes?

EDIT: So.... I thought I knew something about tubes and I've come to find out I don't. Is it safe to buy used tubes? I'm replacing mine because I believe one broke. Do I have to bias anything?

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Definitely, although I found that it made more of a difference in the preamp socket as opposed to the driver, so you could save some money and get one NOS Tele and one JJ, and you'd be awefully close in tone to two Telefunkens.

Tom.

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Thanks again, I also should mention that I use a heavily over driven tube sound with my setup. If money wasn't an issue for you would you still have chosen the Telefunken and the JAN?

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, although in the driver position, the JAN Phillips, Telefunken and JJ were very, very similar.

Tom.

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Hey, I bought the tubes! They're coming my way on friday :).

Telefunken ECC83 ( smooth plate )
    JJ ECC83S

:bassist:

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Cool! Let us know what you think. The difference will not be huge, but I think it will be a noticable improvement.

Tom.

10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Wow when taking off the top of my M-Pulse 600 I managed to strip 4 screws, man that thing was a pain. I was using the propper drill bit too :(.

11. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Not tube related... but

Yeah. I stripped a screw trying to get the case off of my Walkabout too. I'm going to a hardware store too see what they offer in terms of stripped screw removal. But they are tight...

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    A decent hardware store should sell specific drill bits that bite into the screw and let you back them out. With the proper sized bits, and a little bit of patience, it's a piece of cake.

Tom.

13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The best way to get a stripped screw out is to take a drill bit, drill a whole in it. Then take a screw bit and try and get it out with a different size. I found it easiest to go with a drill bit that's a little smaller then the size of the stripped area.

14. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Ah cool. Thanks for the advice you two!

15. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Hey, I got the tubes today! Now which slot is the power tube and which is the pre-amp tube? :)

16. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ya? Sorry don't know enough :(.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The one closest to the front panel is the preamp tube. The one closer to the middle is the MOSFET driver.

Tom.